Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a Monsoon or not??

2000 Camaro RS

Door panel says "UL0", but the OEM deck is CD not cassette. Car also has 6 speakers, 2 door (full range), 2 back seat (subs) and 2 rear deck (full range). There also is no amp under the rear passenger wheel well cover. None of this looks messed with so what gives?? Any idea's??

I was looking to upgrade the speakers, just plug and play. Nothing too expensive. Any advise on this would be good also.

Thanks,
    Russ

Re: Is it a Monsoon or not??

If I'm not mistaken, the Monsoon system actually says monsoon on the head unit... I might be wrong, as it's been a while since mine was in the dash.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

yeah the monsoon systems have a little monsoon logo by the display, i figured you would have noticed that... someone probably added the hatch speakers after-the-fact

by the way, bonemaro... luft waffle whered you get that?
      2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Paul's 5th gen is going to have the Chips Ahoy! system in it.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Bonemaro
          Paul's 5th gen is going to have the Chips Ahoy! system in it.
          it comes with component sets... the dough and the chocolate chips are separated for the best taste imaging
          2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Speakers and wiring looks stock, unmolested. Also if that were the case I'd expect the back seat speakers to be full range, not subs.

Comment

i meant like they might have put in the back hatch panels that come with grills for the speakers... they didnt necessarily have to rip out the sail panel speakers in order to add the rear ones
              2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Interesting. For the record, a small amount of Monsoon systems, infact, did NOT display the "monsoon" logo on the headunit. If I remember right, I believe it was the beginning of a certain year....

Also, it is entirely possible the previous owner just upgraded to a CD player bought off Ebay. They may have also removed the OEM speakers and used speaker harnesses to add their aftermarket speakers.... then just disconnected the harness and threw in some old speakers from a junkyard before selling it. Just an example. The real give away is the lack of amp. There has never been another location for the Monsoon amp. Try pulling out a speaker and using a DMM on it.
                Red 96' A4 Firebird
                Audio Audio and Autotek
                Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311
                  Interesting. For the record, a small amount of Monsoon systems, infact, did NOT display the "monsoon" logo on the headunit. If I remember right, I believe it was the beginning of a certain year....

Also, it is entirely possible the previous owner just upgraded to a CD player bought off Ebay. They may have also removed the OEM speakers and used speaker harnesses to add their aftermarket speakers.... then just disconnected the harness and threw in some old speakers from a junkyard before selling it. Just an example. The real give away is the lack of amp. There has never been another location for the Monsoon amp. Try pulling out a speaker and using a DMM on it.
                  That's correct. My 1998 Firebird had/has the Monsoon system(Head unit went bad, everything else still works), and it didn't say Monsoon anywhere.

As far as the amp goes, there's really nowhere else to store it I don't think. Not sure what gives there.

Comment

Or you can look at the speaker and if it is a DVC (4 wires instead of 2 ) it's monsoon.
                    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Checked more closely today, no amp on either side. Guess its not a monsoon :(
                      The whole system appears stock and undisturbed, it does not look like the previous owner ever touched it.
                      Strange about the code on the door panel.

Still, the plan is to change out the stock speakers for decent aftermarket ones. 6.5" in the doors, 6" subs in the back seat, 4" in the rear deck.

OK, so it's not very exciting but my slush fund has taken a beating lately...and, well, I'm no adiophile any way.

(Saving my $$ for the Flowmaster AT cat back)

I was thinking Pioneer 2-way's for the full range ones, no idea for the subs.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
                      Russ

BTW How is the non-amplified head unit powering 6 speakers?
                      Last edited by jmbrooks; 02-12-2008, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrooks
                        BTW How is the non-amplified head unit powering 6 speakers?
                        Good luck with that. Ditch the 4" hatch speakers altogether for starters. Second, I don't think you'll be able to power any type of real midbasses in the sail panels. You just dont have the power. I understand money is tight, but when quality midbasses are $130+sh/pair anyway...
                        http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=33
                        Dual 2 ohm for the stock headunit. Or wait until you can pony up a couple few hundred dollars and get a small 4-channel amp. Probably more than double the power from the factory headunit. Then get the dual 4 ohm version midbasses. Looks like you have some decisions to make. lol:banana:
                        Red 96' A4 Firebird
                        Audio Audio and Autotek
                        Check it out here!

Comment

Sorry to dig up an old thread but Monsoon amp found!! WooHoo. It was hiding on a plastic panel facing out toward the wheel well. Was doing some other work on the car the other day and found it.

So is there any issue if the supposed original "monsoon" labled cassette head unit was replaced by a non labled CD one? I'd like to keep it if I can, it works fine and my son (who drives the car has little money) can't afford to replace it.

Both power window motors are getting replaced soon and while we're in there we will replace the speakers. I know the deal about the 4 wire and being sure to hook them up correctly.

Does this mean that the speakers in the sail panels are in fact subs? When he can afford it we would like to replace all the speakers.

JM

Comment

JBL makes some great 2 ohm 6.5" I got for the door. It comes in a kit with tweeters too. I took the wires that power the Chevy speakers and separated them and connected them One pair to the 6.5" woofer and had the holes drilled in the door for the tweeter
                            and had them connected to the lead that was connected to the tweeter inside the Chevy 6.5". The crossover included does not have to be used as the OEM amp does this for you. I love the sound. Not expensive either

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrooks View Post
                              Sorry to dig up an old thread but Monsoon amp found!! WooHoo. It was hiding on a plastic panel facing out toward the wheel well. Was doing some other work on the car the other day and found it.

So is there any issue if the supposed original "monsoon" labled cassette head unit was replaced by a non labled CD one? I'd like to keep it if I can, it works fine and my son (who drives the car has little money) can't afford to replace it.

Both power window motors are getting replaced soon and while we're in there we will replace the speakers. I know the deal about the 4 wire and being sure to hook them up correctly.

Does this mean that the speakers in the sail panels are in fact subs? When he can afford it we would like to replace all the speakers.

JM
                              i used speakers with crossovers and a two wire setup that worked out great.... sounded like crap when i tried it with 4 wire setup for some reason

link:
                              http://v6f-body.com/showthread.php?t=1850

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X