Where to Start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to Start?

I just bought a 98 firebird, and it's got the stock sound system in it already, but I want to beef it up. I've never put a new sound system in a car before and have no idea where to start. Should I just buy some speakers and a subwoofer, or replace the whole unit? Are there any websites that have really good deals? I'm willing to drop a couple hundred on it, but not much more.

Re: Where to Start?

Id u have the monsoon sound system just get subs but if u have delco like me, im gonna get a new headunit to put more power to the speakers.. Im gonna get a 150 dollars kicker speakers and then get some audiobahn subs from ebay..

Comment

Yeah, I have the monsoon sound system.

Comment

i would start with a new deck, and build up from there.

get some cheaper speakers and wire them directly to the deck, then an amp and sub. if you want to get crazy get a seperate amp for the speakers

but just remember you get what you pay for....
        Last edited by Meatyshells; 09-23-2007, 11:37 PM.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

With my wife's '97 non-Monsoon Monsoon system, we put in JL 6wo for the subs in the sides, and JBL GTO607C for the front. It sounds great! The only thing is that the tweets on the JBL don't let you use the factory grill for the sleeper look. Otherwise the fits were great. Haven't neede to replace the rear fills yet.
          HTH
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells
            but just remember you get what you pay for....
            AMEN, brother!

Lounge Moderator

Comment

How hard is it to put the stuff in myself? Should I hire somebody else to do it?

Comment

Very easy it you understand the basics, but equally easy to do it wrong if you don't.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

DONT hire a professional. Ask around here to people who have worked with your type of car and usually the same type of product. The pros, so theyre called, usually are not pros at all. They just wire crap together and hope it works. I had a place, Audio Plus, build me a box and they decided to wire my amp and subs up. The tried running both subs together bridged on a 4ohm i think amp. Needless to say it almost caught fire.

Usually someone around here has an answer to your question. Hooking up stereo stuff is pretty easy. If you buy it new, they usually come with good detailed instructions too.
                  Check out my car on cardomain.com!!! <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=844739\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=844739</a>

Comment

Originally posted by bcraig
                    DONT hire a professional.
                    ^ ^ ^ what he said... half the time, they have no idea what they are doing

and like meatyshells said, you get what you pay for. so don't cheap out on parts of your system. avoid those amps that cost like 150 bucks, but claim like 2000 watts of power... audiobahn is the first thing that comes to mind, but there are others.
                    2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells
                      i would start with a new deck, and build up from there.
                      With only a couple hundred to work with. I agree. Just replace the stock headunit for now. Until you can save up a couple more hundred. New deck, speakers, a sub and an amp.... expect to spend $600 EASY. And ours cars are some of the easiest for deck replacement. Dont hire anyone. Check out the Modifications Encyclopedia for a walkthrough.
                      Red 96' A4 Firebird
                      Audio Audio and Autotek
                      Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X