Subs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subs question

I'm debating which Alpine Type R's to get and I don't know TOO much about what Ohms mean etc. so I am currently stuck between the following:

2 12"
    Alpine SWR-1222D (TYPE R)
    2 Ohm

2 12"
    Alpine SWR-1242D 12" Type-R.
    4 Ohm

Both are 1500w Peak and 500w RMS... which should I go with?

Re: Subs question

It all depends on what amplifier you are powering them with.
    Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

What should I power them with? I have $300 to spend on an AMP!

Comment

i dont think your going to find a very good amp for only 300 dollars

and go with the dual 2 ohm you can wire it for a 2ohm load that way

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

i take that back you could get this amp.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gA7RNNu...0&I=113KAC9103

now with those 2 subs it calls for 1000w rms but i dont think you will get better than this for 300 dollars. But i think you might be able to find it cheaper some where else

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

whats the difference between the 2 ohms?

Comment

Originally posted by Injected413
              whats the difference between the 2 ohms?
              Lots actually. Where is my Stereo Mod.... "looks around"

look at this post: http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...highlight=ohms
              FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
              Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
              Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

Well I went with the 2 12" Alpine Type R SWR-1222Ds and that 1700w Mono Kenwood amp, hopefully it comes out good!

Comment

That will work out just fine! Because that amplifier is 1 Ohm stable, you will be able to wire those subs up in parrallel. Doing so will effetively run the subs together with 1Ohm of resistance, and you should be able to get around 1100watts out of that amp and you wont have to turn the gain up quite all the way, which will prolong the life of your subs, and amp.

If you need any help when it comes to setting those up, let me know. I'll be glad to walk you through it!

Comment

Ohm's are just A unit of measurement for resistance. Most subs that are affordable and not way $$$ are four ohm or cheapies 8 ohm. Think of ohm's like this.. If you have A small creek and in that creek you have two big blocks.. well what happens if you add two more? Less water flow right?.. Well in our case the water is amperage and the blocks are the resistance. The less resistance the more power you can get out of your system. Most people wire there subs in parallel to get more power out of it but if you run your wireing in series you effectivly double the resistance! And that reduces the amps put to your sub from the amp itself.Thats not what most want to do, so say you have two four ohm subs and want to hook them up. well if you do it in parallel then they would reduce to just two ohm's of resistance. Wire them in series and now they are 8 ohm!<<< Wrong way to do it for power! Or you can simply not bridge your amp and wire each individually and they will remain 4 ohm.. Do it like this if you have A very powerful amp and don't want to blow up your subs. In most cases you wan't to make sure that your amp is two ohm stable if it's not then running it in two ohm mode will kill it's life or might just fry it alltogather. Example two four ohm's in parallel would fry an amp thats not two ohm stable! But if you run them in series you would get 8 ohm's and the amp would perform below it's peak! Hope this helps and feel free to offer any advice everyone. I'm half a sleep now as I work third shift so I might have made A mistake or left somthing out. Good luck!

Comment

Ok so please correct me if I'm wrong because i probably am! lol,

When I get them delivered, I'll wire the positives from BOTH subs together then into the positive on the amp and do the same for the negatives? Will this work or no?

Comment

Originally posted by Injected413
                        Ok so please correct me if I'm wrong because i probably am! lol,

When I get them delivered, I'll wire the positives from BOTH subs together then into the positive on the amp and do the same for the negatives? Will this work or no?
                        Bingo

Comment

Im here, haha... it's a slow forum, I help where I can and keep the houligans out ;)
                          *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by zeddfirstwizard
                            Most subs that are affordable and not way $$$ are four ohm or cheapies 8 ohm.
                            The price of the subwoofer has nothing to do with impedence. The same brand 2 ohm subwoofer is not going to be more expensive than the 4 ohm version. But underneath that huge run-on paragraph, there is a small amount of truth. Way too confusing for a new guy though.

First off, the Alpine Type-R has dual voice coils. I'm not sure if that's understood by everyone on this thread. So, Injected, you will need to use a series/parallel wiring scheme. This will give you a final load of 2 ohms to the amplifier. This is really your only reasonable choice. Visit www.jlaudio.com or www.rockfordfosgate.com I believe. They both have some easy to use wiring diagrams to help you. Remember, you have TWO DUAL 2 ohm subwoofers.
                            Red 96' A4 Firebird
                            Audio Audio and Autotek
                            Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X