is my amp good enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my amp good enough?

i have 2 12" infinity 1252 w subs and i was wondering if my 1400 watt amp is enough? it's a boss amp i think its at least a few years old, it was on the car when i bought it. it says 1400 watt right on the amp. i really don't know much about this stuff so i was wondering whether my amp is enough to push those subs, i've had some issues with my voltage dropping lately so i was gonna pick up a capacitor regardless.

my old subs were like 600 watt each so is the amp i have good enough?

thanx

Re: is my amp good enough?

i think that if u have actually 1400 watts being able to push all at once, then it will definately be enough.

I have a 12" infinity 1250 i think and i just have that set at receiving around 300 watts and it is plenty.

If u need to bridge your amp u wont be able to get the full amount of power out of it.

Comment

i don't know how to set bridge an amp or what that even does

Comment

usually like in my case, you have a 2 channel amp or something, and u need to bridge it to bring the power to only 1 sub, I dont no the exact terms and how it works, all i no is it works.lol. I love subs.

Comment

He says he's running 2 infinities though, so there wouldn't be a need for a bridge.
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
            He says he's running 2 infinities though, so there wouldn't be a need for a bridge.
            ah i gotcha, my amp is a two channel which i suppose is good since i've got two subs, does that mean it splits the 1400 watts between the two? therefore creating 700 watt power to each??

Comment

What brand amp is this?
              2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Originally posted by T-Punk
                What brand amp is this?
                It's in the post, it's a BOSS amp.

Im sure your amp will do fine, It probably won't be anything you can compete with but it should give you plenty of bass.
                *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

In that case there is no way it's putting out that kind of power. They rate those amps in peak and even that is a streach. Odds are that amp is putting out between 200 and 250Wrms. It will probably run the subs fine.
                  2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident
                    i've had some issues with my voltage dropping lately so i was gonna pick up a capacitor regardless.
                    did you do the "Big 3" ???

the infinity 1252 are they 4ohm DVC ???

i have a boss amp i think its at least a few years old, it says 1400 watt right on top... so i was wondering whether my amp is enough to push those subs,.
                    well A 2006 Boss Blade BL1400 makes 1400 total max power at 2ohm X 2 700w Max at 2ohm X 2 @14.4v = 1400w
                    RMS power is 250w at 4ohm X 2 @14.4v = 500w
                    with SNR >105db / THD 0.01 at 4ohm X 2

not rated is the RMS at 2ohm but it would work out to 350w

Note: thay do not Rate the eficiency but its CLass A MOSFET...
                    I would think its only about 65% at 4ohm, 50% at 2ohm ... (your voltage issues)

so if the infinity are 300watts rms/600watts max EA and are 4ohm DVC's

at 2ohm your amp will work ....:D

.................................................. ..............................................

my system pics
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2516564

Comment

Originally posted by travis brackett
                      did you do the "Big 3" ???

the infinity 1252 are they 4ohm DVC ???

well A 2006 Boss Blade BL1400 makes 1400 total max power at 2ohm X 2 700w Max at 2ohm X 2 @14.4v = 1400w
                      RMS power is 250w at 4ohm X 2 @14.4v = 500w
                      with SNR >105db / THD 0.01 at 4ohm X 2

not rated is the RMS at 2ohm but it would work out to 350w

Note: thay do not Rate the eficiency but its CLass A MOSFET...
                      I would think its only about 65% at 4ohm, 50% at 2ohm ... (your voltage issues)

so if the infinity are 300watts rms/600watts max EA and are 4ohm DVC's

at 2ohm your amp will work ....:D

.................................................. ..............................................

my system pics
                      i have not done teh big 3, could you explain what it takes to do it??

i'm gonna get the capacitor that is shaped like a nos bottle cuz it looks kick asss

i would like to do the big 3 upgrade, could you explain it in detail plz, thanx

Comment

All you have to do is remove the wires that go from:

1) Battery negative to chassis
                        2) Alternator to battery positive
                        3) Chassis to engine

This was already explained to you in your other post about your low voltage, you take those wires off, that are 8 gauge wires, and replace them with a bigger gauge wire, like a 4 gauge.

As many of you know, upgrading the "Big 3" wires in your engine compartment can lower the overall resistance of your entire electrical system. The effects of the lower resistance are typically:

1) Reduced dimming and smaller voltage drops
                        2) More stable voltage and better current flow
                        3) Less strain on your vehicle's charging system

Thats straight from your other thread by Travis.
                        *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

I haven't even done the big 3 on my bird with a Viper D1200.1 which will actually produce around 1200 watts when needed, and I get minimal dimming. I really think something else is wrong with your electrical system.
                          <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

could you explain what it takes to do it??
                            you need a about 15' of 4 Gauge wire (8g well work if you just add it to the stock wire)... ( I used 0 on alterator to batt and added 4g to all grounds )
                            and 8 ring terminals

battery's negative terminal:
                            to stock wiring add a larger wire... connect it to the stock grounding point. make sure it is bare chassis metal, not covered by paint

alternator to battery:
                            Disconnect the stock alternator to battery positive wire from the positive post and connect it to the post again with the new wire added.

chassis to engine wires: (on a 3800 threre is two)
                            connect new wire to the stock chassis ground. From the chassis ground, run the wire back to the posts bolts on the engine block).

I also ran A new 4g power wire... batt to the fuse box...

.................................................. .................................................. ....

my system pics

Comment

Originally posted by Earnhardt132000
                              I haven't even done the big 3 on my bird with a Viper D1200.1 which will actually produce around 1200 watts when needed, and I get minimal dimming. I really think something else is wrong with your electrical system.

mybe but your amp is a class D Right ???

If so its about 70% eficiency

He has a CLass A at 50% eficiency

my Amps are Digital Class X Comp Mono Block's (95% eficiency 4ohm @17v)

All amps are not the same...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X