Speaker Question - Monsoon System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Question - Monsoon System

Okay, getting my 2001 Camaro tomorrow and very excited about it. But the front two speakers are blown. Is it possible to take the speakers that are by the back seats and put them in front, until I can get new speakers?

Re: Speaker Question - Monsoon System

With a monsoon system, no. The sail panel speakers are 6.5" midwoofers, and the hatch speakers are4" mid-high. Your best bet is to get some new fronts.

Comment

There are JBL car speakers that are 4 ohms with separate tweeters I installed in my Camaro Moonsoon and they are terrific..see earlier postings for the model number.

Comment

Did you wire from the Monsoon amp?

Comment

yes, you disconnect the two wires connected to the tweeter that is located inside the woofer on the OEM speaker (coaxial) and connect that to the tweeter you will install or have installed, the other two wires are connected to the JBL woofer that will fit perfectly.The Monsoon OEM amp and will power them just fine. I could not be more pleased with the outcome.

Comment

I'm saying the Monsoon amp and headunit are both static boxes. Its a 500w amp, powering 6 speakers, so they get roughly 85w per speaker. Look at the RMS power rating on the component speakers you got. I'm running Hertz 6.5" compoents up front, and Hertz 6x9 coax's in the sails. Deleted the rear hatch 4", and a single RF 12" P2 in the trunk, Deleted Monsoon amp. Running 14awg Monster speaker wire... the Monsoon boxes are good with what they came with, anything else and aftermarket is the way to go.

Comment

500 Watts? I have a 7 channel power amp by Emotiva for my home theater. It has 400 Watts and weighs about 25 pounds and cost $700. If you think any car amp has 500 watts you are badly mistaken...you cannot generate enough electrical power to produce 500 continuous watts from 20 to 20000 hz plus or minus 2 db, from a car battery.

Comment

I'll simply say 1) look into something before you talk about it. My cars sound system is about 900w. 2) A house outlet, 120v. A car battery, 12v. They're completely different styles of sound. 3) http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-ele...nsoon-faq.html

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...id=104&parid=2

Nope. Can't get 500w... not at all.
                Last edited by Docta; 03-26-2012, 03:56 PM.

Comment

900 Watts is even more impossible from a 12 volt battery. Stop believing all the advertising you read. Most of it is cheap Chinese crap anyway.

Comment

Why do I try... that's peak power, granted. But it still does it.

Comment

900 watts is very possible from a car system but it would be drawing something like 75 amps @ 12v and that's before the loss in the line from the amp to the battery. To really drive a system like without getting lots of low voltage situations and clipping (which can blow the speakers) you'd likely need an upgraded battery, maybe even the alt, some really thick wiring, and a capacitor wouldn't hurt either. If your lights dim when a bass note hits, you're not getting anywhere near the rating on the amp which for many manufacturers seems overrated in terms of the wattage label.

The monsoon system is a bose system and when you add all the compents up I bet it is at least a few hundred watts. Only thing that still works in my monsoon system is the front door speakers which ends up with a no bass sound, oh that and the cassette player except its pretty noisy. I'm probably going to do a new headunit / speakers in the doors and sails and just rewire everything (nothing fancy - just something that works). Maybe use an old 400w 4 channel amp i have that is almost 10 years old if the head unit is under powered which it probably will be cause it will not be a high end unit. Optimus brand - (radio shack - which I think was actually manufactured by pioneer at the time) - thing weighs about 25lbs.
                      96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Peak Power + .50 will buy you a donut.
                        Its meaningless...it was created for advertising only.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          4 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X