Whats going on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats going on here?

Hey guys, I have a little problem. The speakers on the passenger side of my car just quit working. Not sure why, they aren't blown. I don't have door speakers yet, but my sail panels have alpine type s 6.5" and my rear speakers are 4" memphis components.
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro
    L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Re: Whats going on here?

Aftermarket hu? If so did you install it?

Comment

Yeah its a pioneer hu. I installed it the day after I bought the car a few years ago, then the bcm started acting up and I thought I installed it wrong so I took it to car toys and they re did it for me but it still shut off. I learned about the bcm and fixed it. Then put speakers in it, then recently subs and an amp (speakers are run off hu), didn't have a problem till yesterday or the day before.
      1997 Chevrolet Camaro
      L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Look up the wiring harness diagram, check the wires for those speakers. Or the connection's onvthe speakers themselves.

Comment

The speakers came back suddenly today, but cut out again after a few minutes. The connections on the speakers are good, I havnt pulled the deck out yet to check back there though. I wonder if there's a problem with the deck. I don't understand why both speakers cut in and out at the same time.
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Comment

Best thing I can think of is that the wires from back are somehow grounding together. Like there's some exposed wire somewhere and it cuts them out.

Comment

I took a look at my speakers today, and figured out part of the problem. The rear 4" speaker has 4 wires going to it, but only 3 were hooked up. I crimped the female connection a little and hooked it back up. The sail panel speaker wire was pinched between the speaker and the mounting surface. So I clipped the wire back past where it was pinched at and used new butt connectors on it and it seems to work ok.
              1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Comment

I talked to a guy at car toys today, and he said I might just have a bad speaker. That the voice coil got all fubar inside it. I didn't get a chance to give the recent history about the car though. The previous owner or the one before him hacked the wireing and ran their own speaker wire, and I'm thinking that since I've had a leaking t top water might have damaged the speaker wire since it runs under the carpet. The car toys guy is probably right though, I'm no expert.
                1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Comment

Most problems are cable/wire failures

Comment

Yeah, its only cut out a few times since I re did the connections. I think when I get some new speakers, I'm gonna fix the previous owners ***** wireing job and get new speaker wire for it.
                    1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Comment

Or get rid of the rear 4"s all together... they don't do a damn thing. The 6.5"s in the sails are perfectly fine for rear speakers. But I do suggest running all speakers off of HU power instead of the static box monsoon amp if you have it.

Comment

I was outside my car yesterday morning, and I figured id pop the trunk and check to see if my passenger side 4" speaker was still working and now both rear speakers aren't working. The passenger side sail speaker quit again, and one of my 12s isn't working either. I swear I have the worst luck.
                        1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Comment

So I figured out part of my problem. I went back to Car Toys yesterday and talked to a sales rep about buying speaker wire. He said to try to hook it back up to the factory wiring if it was still there. I showed him the mangled connector that I'm assuming was a stock amp hook up, and it had 4 pairs of speaker wire spliced into it and heading back towards the seats. When I got home I pulled the passenger seat out and started looking under the carpet for those random speaker wires. I found them, and they weren't hooked up to anything and the ends on all 8 wires were exposed touching the metal floor. So I pulled those wires out the back and clipped them off the wiring harness. After that I traced the sail wire to the front of the car where the previous owner twisted and taped 2 sections of wire together and it had come undone. I put some butt connectors and heat shrink on it and that fixed my sail panel speaker. I still have no idea what's going on with my 4" speakers though.
                          1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have a bad amp too. Both subs are fine, but nothing comes out of the +/- terminals for the passenger sub.
                            1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Comment

Factory monsoon amp?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X