Repairing power antennas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing power antennas?

Ok, my power antenna on my '01 Firebird is going kaput- it will retract the antenna all the way but it will only extend it about halfway before it starts making a grinding noise that eventually stops after a few seconds.

I'm guessing that the motor drive gear had stripped some teeth on it and needs to be replaced. Looking thru the threads here it looks like the antenna assembly can be opened up by drilling out the rivets but nothing is said of where replacement parts can be ordered (or even if they're available). Where can I get replacment parts (and I assume that once opened I actually CAN replace any internal parts) - or would I just be better off getting a OEM replacement from the dealer?

Thanks!
    David

Re: Repairing power antennas?

Update: I got to thinking about it's behavior and I got to wondering if actually the mast cable broke instead. I pulled the mast section and looked at the cable and while I didn't have anything to gauge it against, it looked like the cable was shorter than expected- and the end didn't look 'finished'. So I got the antenna motor unit out of the car, drilled out the rivets and opened it up- sure enough I found almost a good 8" of mast cable still on the drum.

So actually the motor's ok and I need a replacement antenna mast in black - is this pretty much a dealer item or is there a good place on the Internet that's got OEM replacements without the dealer price?

Thanks!
    David

Comment

You could check rockauto.com they have a ton of stuff at really good prices.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Lamarth View Post
        Update: I got to thinking about it's behavior and I got to wondering if actually the mast cable broke instead. I pulled the mast section and looked at the cable and while I didn't have anything to gauge it against, it looked like the cable was shorter than expected- and the end didn't look 'finished'. So I got the antenna motor unit out of the car, drilled out the rivets and opened it up- sure enough I found almost a good 8" of mast cable still on the drum.

So actually the motor's ok and I need a replacement antenna mast in black - is this pretty much a dealer item or is there a good place on the Internet that's got OEM replacements without the dealer price?

Thanks!
        David
        The cable tends to break because it's vinyl. I got mine from Ebay if I remember correctly and I was able to replace that easily.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
          The cable tends to break because it's vinyl. I got mine from Ebay if I remember correctly and I was able to replace that easily.
          I might have to go that route- I found one on GMPartsDirect.com but when my order arrived it was chrome. I was told after the fact that GM no longer sells the 'black chrome' version (even though they had the antenna listed as being 'black chrome') :rant:

I doubt I could paint it and get the paint to stick, so I'm sending it back. I might try your route and salvage the original antenna and just replace the cable. How did you replace the cable though?

Comment

I just ordered a replacement mast from GMPartsdirect and while they said it was 'black chrome' it arrived regular chrome. They told me (after the order of course) that GM no longer makes the black chrome version, so I might have to do like you and fix the nylon cable on the original mast. That is, from what you say it sounds like you were able to replace the cable on your original mast- if so, how were you able to replace it?
            Last edited by Lamarth; 11-16-2011, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamarth View Post
              Ok, my power antenna on my '01 Firebird is going kaput- it will retract the antenna all the way but it will only extend it about halfway before it starts making a grinding noise that eventually stops after a few seconds.

I'm guessing that the motor drive gear had stripped some teeth on it and needs to be replaced. Looking thru the threads here it looks like the antenna assembly can be opened up by drilling out the rivets but nothing is said of where replacement parts can be ordered (or even if they're available). Where can I get replacment parts (and I assume that once opened I actually CAN replace any internal parts) - or would I just be better off getting a OEM replacement from the dealer?

Thanks!
              David
              Better off getting whole replacement,time and labor vs parts cost,weigh it out.:stp:

-jimfire

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X