Speaker Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Help!

So here is my situation. Only 3 of the 6 speakers in my car are good. I have the monsoon system in my 99 Firebird so I have the 2 doors, the 2 sail panels, and the 2 in the rear hatch. Shortly after buying the car I noticed that the sound didn't seem like it was coming from every speaker. thats when I realized that the passenger door speaker doesn't work at all and the speaker in the passenger sail panel is missing. The driver sail panel speaker only has 1 srew holding it in place but there isnt anything holding the screw in place.

Bottom line is I am just going to replace all 4 of the the 6.5" speakers in my car. Im not into all the car audio stuff so I dont want anything expensive or over the top. My goal here is to simply replace the speakers with nice sounding, low budget speakers. I am also getting an aftermarket head unit that was in my sister old car. Installing and hookup shouldnt be a problem. Its just the fitment I'm worried about. Can someone tell me if these speakers will fit in the original spot and if they will also fit my needs. Any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...&skuId=9454752

Re: Speaker Help!

Look good, just watch your ohms, I think factory is 2ohm, and the ones your looking at are 4ohms, I think thats what they are. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Couple of things...
      1) Yes, those will work. They will directly bolt into the old speaker housings. Your Monsoon amp is 125w, I believe, and through 6 speakers 125/6= ~20w to each speaker. Which sounds about right, but the Monsoon system is nothing but a big static box. I went out and bought almost $700 worth of Hertz audio speakers for my car, and was highly disappointed, went back and asked the people and they told me headunit power. I tried it, and 5x improvement. Sound quality is miles ahead of Monsoon, and the speakers will not distort like they do through the amp.
      2) Get rid of the wiring through the monsoon amp. PM me and I can guide you, or find a wiring diagram and get head-unit power to those speakers. Get some like 16-18ga. wire and wire them up yourself, takes an afternoon but it's well worth it.
      3) Your sail panel speakers are not coax. They are midwoofers, so either replace it with a midwoofer or don't mess with them. You can also try to find a shallow mount sub, but those are pricey. Personally, if you want a good, clean sound, get 2 set of 6.5"'s and a small stealth sub, maybe a 10. These cars are fantastic for sound systems, and a little bit goes a long ways.
      4) Don't bother with the rears. They're 4" coax and useless. I just disconnected the wires and pulled 'em. And I get a complete range of sound and it sounds amazing.

Related to my little goes a long ways deal, I run 6.5's in the front doors, and made room for 6x9's in the sails, both on HU power, and then a Rockford Fosgate P2 12" (on 400w) sub in the trunk, in a custom box, and I easily outpower and sound systems with 5x the power into it. I got the entire sub system for around $250, and I could have gotten good speakers for $150. So if you've got $500 in a sound system you'll be immensely happy with it. My car doesn't look like it has any work done to the sound system, sub hides behind the privacy shield, and the only give-away is a Rockford sticker, and the Kenwood headunit. But I will hit over 130dB and that's on any kind of music from dubstep to Night Ranger and Foreigner to Scar Symmetry and Insomnium to whatever is on the radio these days.

6x9's I run: http://www.driveinautosound.com/hertzhcx1654.aspx
      And the 6.5's: http://www.driveinautosound.com/hertzecx6904.aspx
      PS, sorry for the rant, I just got done writing a paper so I was in the zone.
      Last edited by Docta; 09-07-2011, 11:43 PM.

Comment

I tried to put the speakers in the sail panels, but all i got was base, no trebble. I know they were wired correctly. I have an aftermarket headunit to put in. Do I need to change the hu first for the speakers to work?

Comment

The sail panels are 4 ohm DVC subwoofers. The stock MONSOON amp has a built in crossover that does lowpass filtering for the sailpanel speakers, thus running the stock headunit through the stock amp it is only going to pass bass sound to the sailpanel speakers no matter what you wire there

Comment

Originally posted by timthescarred View Post
            The sail panels are 4 ohm DVC subwoofers. The stock MONSOON amp has a built in crossover that does lowpass filtering for the sailpanel speakers, thus running the stock headunit through the stock amp it is only going to pass bass sound to the sailpanel speakers no matter what you wire there
            This. You have to run wires from the HU to the sails if you want full range from them. That or splice off the fronts, but that's not recommended.

Comment

So just to be crystal clear since I am not a wire or speaker guy, it sounds like the only thing that the sail panel speakers are suppossed to do is play bass. So the speakers and wiring were all working properly when we wired them in and only got base?

Comment

That's correct, and it bass not base, pronounced the same

Comment

Ha sorry about the misspell. Thats what happens when I try to type after midnight. That solves alot of questions. My brother in law installs security systems and deals with wires everyday, and he has wired a quite a few car speakers and headunits too. Thats why it was so confusing when wired it up and we only got the BASS. Thanks for the help. I will post if I got it working or If I need any more help. Thanks!
                  Last edited by Punzak9; 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I'll try to get a how-to up sometime.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      4 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X