Better Alt or second Batt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Alt or second Batt?

I'm having an issue with my car's in dash computer starting right after startup.
    I have to wait about 8-10 minutes after startup before I can get the computer to start up. I can start the computer before cranking but after cranking I have to wait. Now if the computer is on and I start the car it shuts out from power drain. I dont mind having to wait to start the comp but I want to fix the delay. So dose it sound like I need a stronger Alt or a second battery.

Re: Better Alt or second Batt?

Unless you have a large stereo system that also comes on I would think you should be able to start a computer right after startup unless you have some underlying electrical problems. Perhaps your battery or alternator are on the way out? Might just want to consider upgrading to a single premium battery if you haven't already.
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Also double check the battery and alt connections to make sure they are solid. The alt should bring the system up to operating voltage right after startup. Have you taken any voltage readings during this 10 minute period you have to wait?
      96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Might look into a Yellow top batt. since thier deep cycle batteries.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

what kind of psu or regulator are you using? whats happening really doesn't make sense, i mean it doesn't sound like a battery or charging problem. it sounds like something in the logic of whatever controller you are using... or lack there of... when i was doing the carputer thing. i had a carnetix p2140 and you can change all kinds of settings. and i believe with it, you could start the computer with the key just set to on and then crank the motor and it would stay on or keep loading. if you don't have anything like that, its very important to get one because you could be hitting the pc with to much or to little voltage. i do have one or two laying around if you need one

Comment

I'm using this PSU I use the traditional power button mounted under the screen. One thing I forgot to mention is this only happens on the first start of the day, after that it will boot right up just not if its been sitting over night. Now because my car is running on megasquirt it doesn't aways like to start on the first try in the morning so I'm thinking that will have a lot to do with it and I'm sorry for not mentioning that in the first post.

Comment

U need a power regulator of sorts feeding that psi a steady 12v. That's the same psu I used but I used a Carnetix p2140 with it. And it will start and shutdown the pc for you. Without it regulating the 12v your gonna fry your mobo. I've got a p2140 and p1900 laying around.

Comment

Big three, yellow top, and upgraded alt will help keep a steady voltage, amperage, and current.
                \" Eat Rice With Pushrods \"<br /><br />My Car and What I Did <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127313/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127313/1</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Darkshadow188 View Post
                  Big three, yellow top, and upgraded alt will help keep a steady voltage, amperage, and current.
                  i have all that including a huge capacitor and it doesnt work for me..all i have is a sound system...im gonna look into a second battery

Comment

Originally posted by darkflare999 View Post
                    i have all that including a huge capacitor and it doesnt work for me..all i have is a sound system...im gonna look into a second battery
                    I've got over 10K in my stereo, and sadly I dont even have the big 3. Unless you've decked out the back with massive 1.5 ohm vegas and 2k watt amps, there's no need to increase the load by adding another battery... it would be a waste of money. At most another battery might stop an annoying light dim, but it's not really worth the time. Then again, I don't know your setup and config and issue, but I'd be more than happy to help sort it out.
                    \" Eat Rice With Pushrods \"<br /><br />My Car and What I Did <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127313/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127313/1</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Darkshadow188 View Post
                      I've got over 10K in my stereo, and sadly I dont even have the big 3. Unless you've decked out the back with massive 1.5 ohm vegas and 2k watt amps, there's no need to increase the load by adding another battery... it would be a waste of money. At most another battery might stop an annoying light dim, but it's not really worth the time. Then again, I don't know your setup and config and issue, but I'd be more than happy to help sort it out.
                      yea i pretty much have a huge system...more than 1 amp pushing 1 ohm...and my voice and mids speakers are pro audio (dj) speakers...i have been doing systems for years and it seems this car for me soo far has been the only problem...i had this exact same setup in my last car and didnt have an issue with voltage nor did i have the big 3 or an upgraded alt...so i think now is the time to try a 2nd battery

Comment

Originally posted by darkflare999 View Post
                        yea i pretty much have a huge system...more than 1 amp pushing 1 ohm...and my voice and mids speakers are pro audio (dj) speakers...i have been doing systems for years and it seems this car for me soo far has been the only problem...i had this exact same setup in my last car and didnt have an issue with voltage nor did i have the big 3 or an upgraded alt...so i think now is the time to try a 2nd battery
                        That's pretty intense, but adding another batt may not save you. I went down that path once with my system. Here's what I have now:

JL 13.5 W7
                        2x JL XR653-cxi
                        1000/1
                        2x 300/2
                        Stinger 35 farad cap
                        150A 14V ALT
                        Clarion 5.1 processor (KEY)
                        Clarion Pro Audio in dash DVD
                        Clarion center chanel
                        center channel amp
                        Optima Red Top
                        Stinger Distribution Block
                        All JL wiring
                        My last audio test was 159db. After a tune I hit 164db.

My deck's output voltage is 1.5V but once it feeds through the 5.1 it's 4V per channel. This adds additional clarity and volume. If you are looking at batteries, make sure your alt can distinguish between the need for charge between the two. Kenetic batteries have a powerful punch. But I've got lots and lots of ohms that are and aren't crossed over. Each corner of my car has 3 individual speakers (mid, pa, tw) crossed over.

Anything can be done, it's just a wiring game.

What's your system doing that's making it need more power?

Comment

wow....... how many different things is this thread going to talk about

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
                            wow....... how many different things is this thread going to talk about
                            yeaaa...thats what i realized..soo i stopped....sorry op i had no intentions of thread jacking!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X