a few amp questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few amp questions

Ok I'm going by the "how to install an amp wiring kit" in the faq sticky. Steps 2 and 3 say to take the short ground wire and wire it from the battery ground to a spot behind the battery. Then step 9 says find a spot within 2 feet of the amp to place a ground then run it to the amp. My kit only came with 1 short ground wire, do I have to run 1 from the battery to the body or can I get away with just running 1 from the amp to the body? And can I put my positive amp wire in the red box behind the battery that the pos wire goes to? Ok 1more, step 11 says to run rca cables on the opposit side of the car the power wire was run. Why?
    Last edited by espey_16; 03-27-2011, 03:40 PM.
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro
    L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Re: a few amp questions

A- No, you only need to ground from the amp. If it's going in the back, I grounded mine to the seatbelt mount.

B- Yes, you can. It can go either to the battery itself, or the aux battery hook-up on the driver's side. But, if you go straight to the battery it puts more stress on the battery/starter/alt.

C- No idea.. I don't see why you would. Though they don't have to be together long, even if you do wire in the same place.

Comment

You run the RCA cables on the opposite side of the car as the power because you can get interference between the cables. It makes an awful sound and the bass is terrible if you get interference.

It isn't mandatory, but it is suggested.
      In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
      2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

I didn't know about that.. my cables run side by side and I don't get anything..

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
          I didn't know about that.. my cables run side by side and I don't get anything..
          Yes, that is why I said "CAN get interference".
          In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
          2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Originally posted by 1997Canadian3.8 View Post
            Yes, that is why I said "CAN get interference".
            I was just giving my input. Letting people/him know that just because it CAN doesn't mean it WILL..

Comment

Back in the day, when RCA cables were made of straight wires, you could get alternator whine bleeding through the shields if the cables were ran together down the length of the car. Nowdays, most RCA cables are made of "twisted pair" like an ethernet cable. This almost completely prevents interference from entering the cable. And that is exactly why ethernet cables are made that way. The stereo equipment manufacturers got smart and adopted that type of cable.

I have my RCA cables running together with the power from the firewall all the way to the trunk, and dont get any interference/whine what so ever.

Comment

interference is the worst, that buzzing will be the death of you
                Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Where did you guys run through the firewall? I ran my power cord through the doorjamb.... I couldn't find a place in the firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                    Where did you guys run through the firewall? I ran my power cord through the doorjamb.... I couldn't find a place in the firewall.
                    I had to drill a hole in the firewall. It is on the driver's side about 3 inches away from where the rest of the wiring harness comes through. I used a 1/2" bit that is 18 inches long and drilled from the engine compartment. It came through up behind the clutch pedal somewhere.

Comment

Ok I got everything hooked up and working. Sounds ok, but I wish they hit harder. They're great for free subs and amp though. These are the subs and amp I'm running http://m.crutchfield.com/mt/www.crut...n_jtt_redirect. The hardest part of the install I thought was removing the pcm, running the power wire through the grommet behind it, then putting the pcm back.
                      1997 Chevrolet Camaro
                      L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Originally posted by espey_16 View Post
                        Ok I got everything hooked up and working. Sounds ok, but I wish they hit harder. They're great for free subs and amp though. These are the subs and amp I'm running http://m.crutchfield.com/mt/www.crut...n_jtt_redirect. The hardest part of the install I thought was removing the pcm, running the power wire through the grommet behind it, then putting the pcm back.
                        Got pictures of your setup?

Comment

Originally posted by espey_16 View Post
                          I am VERY glad you didn't spend money on those... lol. I've got a Pioneer on 400w. And it POUNDS. Bet it looks clean though.

Comment

Yeah, but I don't have a computer to post them up. The subs and amp were a gift to my gf for graduating, and when she got a new car she gave them to me. I wasn't really expecting too much from them seeing as they're discontinued now. Kinda funny on that link I posted they're called the bass package.
                            1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X