Some help needed with very low budget stereo upgrade. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some help needed with very low budget stereo upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some help needed with very low budget stereo upgrade.

Ok, try not to laugh, but I don't want to spend a pile of money on a stereo system for the 98 'bird. The plan is to add the MP3 jack to the stock CD power head (not Monsoon), and replace the four speakers with something that is better, and can take 35-60 watts RMS. Also included is a low power 4 channel amp pushing about 40-60 watts rms with speaker inputs.

I know this will never win any awards, but the goal is to keep the stock powerhead, and stock looks, but improve the sound quality and volume a a little and do it for about $200. If the stock system was just a tad louder, I probably wouldn't do anything.

There are a number of 6.5-6.75" speakers available in the $50-$60/pr range, like Kenwood KFC 1662s, Pioneer TS-G1643R, Kicker KS600. For the amp, I'm looking at low budget 4 channel amps like Kenwood KAC-6404, Dual XPA4640, in the $100 range, or even cheaper amps like Hitron HPA800 or even HPA400. I never heard of Hitron, but they actually get very good reviews for a cheap amp. It works, low distortion, and lasts.

I know these are cheap parts, but they are probably as good as or better than the sound quality from the stock ph.

Any suggestions for products in the price range of the items I listed that are fairly decent quality and an improvement over stock?

Plan on using the stock wire harness for the speakers, and placing the amp under the passenger seat because it needs to be as close to the ph as possable seeing as the stock wire harness is being used and the amp will have speaker level inputs.

Is this setup the best I can do for $200 or is there a better way?

Re: Some help needed with very low budget stereo upgrade.

IMO the only better way to get a better set up for that price is to buy used. If you look, car audio can be bought for very cheap.

You're much better off getting a new deck to go with an amp and new speakers but you can certainly make the stock one work.

Take a look at MTX speakers. I got mine very cheap and they sound as good as alpine type Rs.

Check out Ebay and Craigslist.

Goodluck!
    In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
    2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Originally posted by 1997Canadian3.8 View Post
      IMO the only better way to get a better set up for that price is to buy used. If you look, car audio can be bought for very cheap.

You're much better off getting a new deck to go with an amp and new speakers but you can certainly make the stock one work.

Take a look at MTX speakers. I got mine very cheap and they sound as good as alpine type Rs.

Check out Ebay and Craigslist.

Goodluck!
      Thanks for the MTX speaker reference. Will check them out. Right now I want to keep the stock power head. I think the after market stuff is just hideous looking. Plus, most of it is "joy stick" or single button control. In other words, the balance, tuning, EQ, etc can not be changed without looking at the stereo display to see what function has been chosen. The older stereos can easily be manipulated by hand with their "unique to function" controls. I can change the EQ, balance, volume and fade without ever taking my eyes off the road. Try that with a Sony.

Comment

Well I can't disagree with that..
        However, you will never have the customizable options of the aftermarket deck which are especially nice if you're running a sub and/ or amplified speakers.

I have an aftermarket deck, i personally don't like the look of them on a lot of cars but I think mine looks clean, I'll get a picture this weekend if I can when I go to check on her in storage.
        In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
        2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Check out some of the Lanzar speakers too their real cheap and I like them alot.

Comment

Originally posted by mtscorvette View Post
            Check out some of the Lanzar speakers too their real cheap and I like them alot.
            Found the Lanzar speakers. And they are budget priced, but all seem to be high watt speakers. Like 200 watts, and those are not very efficient at lower wattage. But thanks for the suggestion, they may be right for another member!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
              Found the Lanzar speakers. And they are budget priced, but all seem to be high watt speakers. Like 200 watts, and those are not very efficient at lower wattage. But thanks for the suggestion, they may be right for another member!
              Be careful with under powering any speaker, you have a better chance of blowing a speaker because it was under powered.....
              In America's Hat!

Comment

I'd stick to Pioneer. IMO, for a budget speakers, nothing touches pioneer. Stick to two-way speakers as anything more is overkill and generally results in less linear response. Stay away from brands like kenwood, sony, dual, boss, etc. For an amp, check out craigslist for reputable brands, or maybe look into a refurbished kicker on eBay. I picked up a kx350.4 (350W, 4-ch) for about $115 and a ZX350.4 (same specs, newer model) for about $140 refurbished, both in great condition and have been working great. These are excellent amplifiers. The bass boost is a nice addition as it's a little hard to get decent bass out of smaller speakers otherwise.

Go to home depot and pick up a small roll of R-32 home insulation (~10 bucks). When you take out your sail panel speakers, get some nice gloves and pull the insulation off the paper backing and stuff the inner quarter panel with the stuff. You should just about be able to fit half the roll in each quarter panel. This will cut down on road noise and increase the clarity and bass definition of those speakers noticeably.

Here are those TS-G1643R's for 38 a pair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-TS-G1643...ht_1843wt_1139

And here's a 200W kicker amp for 105:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-ZX200-4-4...ht_1691wt_1139
                Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 01-21-2011, 04:12 PM.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I have a 2000 camaro monsoon. I got a kit of 4 ohm JBL speakers ...two 6.5 woofers
                  for the door plus two small tweeters. There is a crossover included but not necessary
                  for the Camaro. I am very, very pleased with this system I would recommend it.
                  stock No. is GTO 6080......:banana:

Comment

As far is the kicker amp, my dad has it in his truck bridged pushing a 10 kicker, and it sounds stellar. i bought his entire setup for less than $200, thats 2 kicker speakers, the amp, and the sub with box. his sounds really good.

as for the pioneer speakers, as long as its not the white paper cone speakers, pioneer coax speakers are good bang for your buck.

and as far as im concerned i have ample audio components in the front of my firebird, woven woofer and a seperate tweeter,and i LOVE it. here is a set of coax speakers from ample, with 60 watts rms
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ample-Audio-EXON...item20b27df730
                    Last edited by flamingchicken; 01-26-2011, 07:00 AM.
                    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X