Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker repair?

Hi!

Anyone know of a place that does speaker repair? I've got a buzzing coming from my left sail panel speaker (2001 Firebird, Monsoon system), and I've searched thru the forum on what to do. The general consensus seems to be to replace it but I'd rather get it repaired if at all possible. It needs to be re-coned- I pulled the speaker and found that the flexible perimeter of the outer cone has a tear in it.

Has anyone out there gone this route? If so, if they can recommend a speaker repair shop that does mail order I'd be interested.

Thanks!
    David

Re: Speaker repair?

Go to a local like CarToys, Drive-in Austosound type place. They'll try to sell you a new one, but they probably have the most knowledge of where repair shops might be. But from what I've done, it's cheaper to just buy a repair kit and DIY.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
      Go to a local like CarToys, Drive-in Austosound type place. They'll try to sell you a new one, but they probably have the most knowledge of where repair shops might be. But from what I've done, it's cheaper to just buy a repair kit and DIY.
      Hmmmm..... 'repair kit'? Can you repair a tear? I thought you couldn't repair a torn surround and that it'd have to be replaced? I have absolutely no problem doing it myself, I just need to know how it can be correctly repaired and where I can find a kit....

I did find one local shop that I need to call Monday that MIGHT be able to repair it, but I thought I'd ask around on the chance that they can't help me and that I'd have to send them out of town to be fixed.

Comment

My neighbor is the one that had the repair kit... I just borrowed it. I think it was actually made for subwoofers, but it worked just fine for a component speaker I had. A 6x9..

Comment

do a little googling on DIY re-coning speakers. tons and tons of good info will come up

Comment

Use clear finger nail polish, thats how I fixed several speakers. I even took apart the center of a 15" Kicker sub and fixed the voice coil and resealed the inner cover with finger nail poilsh ,work like a charm. Was running 4 kicker 15's at the time, in a 83' Cavy.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
              Use clear finger nail polish, thats how I fixed several speakers. I even took apart the center of a 15" Kicker sub and fixed the voice coil and resealed the inner cover with finger nail poilsh ,work like a charm. Was running 4 kicker 15's at the time, in a 83' Cavy.
              I'll give it a shot- thanks! Apparently the local shop's gone under so I'll be doing the fix myself anyway...

By the way I did find online the repair kits - I didn't even think to look for something like that. So if the fingernail polish fix doesn't work then I'll just go ahead and order a kit or 2 and change out the surround myself.

Thanks for the replies, by the way!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X