Monsoon front speakers replaced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsoon front speakers replaced

As with many Monsoon systems, my front speakers pretty much rotted out and sounded like crap. I picked up some Memphis Car Audio speakers (15-MC6202) from a local shop.

The speakers are 6.75" speakers like the stock ones and do not have built in cross overs... but some with some you can wire in. They have a fiberglass cone and should last a long time. They are 4ohm instead of 2 but there is LITTLE sound loss.... unless u ride with the radio full blast all the time you wont miss it.

Before stating the install make sure u have some nut drivers, screw drivers, a way to trim plastic (hobby knife, rotozip), know how to splice wire & have the material to do it, also if you have manual windows pick up one of these:

This is used to push a small metal clip that hold you window roller on.

Here are some pics to give you an idea of the built quality vs the stock ones:

Re: Monsoon front speakers replaced

Start by taking the door panel off. The piece around the door handle comes off first. Push up and in on the bottom of the panel to get the clips out of the door, seen here:

Once you get the door panel off and take the speaker loose it will look something like this:

Comment

Do NOT cut the wires and take it out.... in stead take off the entire bracket because you can simply unclip the wiring harness:

Before cutting the wiring harness make sure you know which wires go where (mark them with tape or something). I thought I would hook these speakers the same as the stock ones with the four separate coming from the harness to the speakers... however it sounded like crap when I tried this. So i wired the crossover in the two wires coming from the amp (the main speaker wires not the tweeter wires). Then i simply capped off the tweeter wires and this setup sounds great.

Here is the crossover it came with:

(i tie-wrapped the box to the inside of the door so it wouldn't move around)

The new speakers had a slightly bigger lip around them and so I used a rotozip to trim the plastic ring off of the mounting bracket... fit like a dream after that:

Once the speaker is mounted on the bracket and the crossover is connected to the wiring harness, just plug the wiring harness in and secure the wiring and crossover so that they wont bump around or touch the magnet (i used tie wraps for this). Then use the stock nuts to secure the bracket back in place and put the door panel back on... but test to make sure they work first!

This is my first attempt at a write up so its probably not great, but I hope it helps someone. Would have saved me an hour or so yesterday in the cold...

The sound quality of these speakers is better than the stock Monsoon speakers.

Comment

dude resize those pictures please

Comment

I'm looking to replace my speakers soon with these:
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290057

I've replaced the front ones already with some old stockers, but the sound quality is absolute crap. It's extremely simple to install the speakers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X