new sound system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new sound system

i'm looking at getting all new speakers and a new head unit. I need help with the decision making though, I know very little about speakers and have been reading and reading to try and decide and still don't get it. What brands are good brands and say for example I get 6 speakers each running 75w RMS and the head unit puts out 50w x 4 channels, does this mean that only 4 of the 6 speakers are powered by the head unit? and are the speakers that are ran by the headunit only running at 50w of 75w and underpowered? please help me understand speakers

thanks!

Re: new sound system

Most headunits run 4 channels, meaning you would have to either use an extra amp for the two other speakers, or put two sets of speakers on the rear channels. But if you're talking about the far rear speakers in the monsoon system, they are pretty pointless anyway, and not very good for sound staging, so I'd almost suggest not using them. I have those monsoon speakers in my hatch area, but they are just for looks as they aren't hooked up. The four 6.5" speakers are plenty enough to get you good sound.

"Under powering" speakers isn't really a bad thing, you just won't be pushing the speakers to their full potential, but on the other hand, you will never push speakers to their full potential with just a head unit anyway. If you want to get the best possible sound, you'll need an external amplifier. That said, you're average joe will probably be happy with the power from the deck. They will sound decent depending on the deck you get, and will usually get plenty loud. But giving 15w to 100w RMS speakers isn't "bad."

I've only personally had experience with Clarion, JVC, Jensen, Sony Xplode, and Pioneer decks. Of these, I would highly recommend you stay away from Jensen, Sony, and JVC. I'm not really satisfied with the Clarion I have in my DD, and I have had experience with a large number of Pioneer models, all of which I really like, so I would recommend Pioneer decks as my first choice by far. As far as speakers, I've used a few off brands, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, Bose, and Rainbow Audio, and I'd say Pioneer is the best bang for the buck, with Rainbow being the best sound, and Rockford somewhere in the middle.

What are you looking for out of your sound system? Do you want a sub? Do you want an audiophile system, do you want an average joe system? What kind of music do you listen to?
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Alpine has some good head units , I just bought my first Alipne headunit and it is probably the best head unit I got so far , then the Kenwood headunits would be next.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Im pretty happy with my alpine headunit and alpine type S speakers....best Ive had so far, and I have experience with sony and MTX....I did really like the sony deck I had though...still have it in the basement actually...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

schlotzky has the right idea...Pioneer is both affordable and decent for the price. For me, gone are the days where I wouldn't think twice about installing a $2500 system, now, I want the best I can get for way way less (too many bills!) and Pioneer is super dependable. (like schlotzky, I too have tried many different brands, mostly high end)
          I just installed a Pioneer DEH 77 HU and 4 Pioneer 6.75 coaxials this summer and am quite pleased with the sound and I got it all for around $500.
          Subs and a couple of amps are next...

A new head unit and 4 speakers will be a huge improvement over the stock system. Good luck...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X