Upgrade to base model stereo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to base model stereo.

My 98 Bird has the base CD player w/equalizer and 4 speaker system. I just want a little more volume so I can hear the music over the wind noise with the windows open without cranking it to the point of distortion.

I want to keep the factory power head so it looks OEM. And it will discourage break in for a fancy power head.

I want to do this inexpensively. I really don't need high quality sound. The factory head unit sound quality just fine, its just short on output. I believe its only 7 watts per channel.

So I'm thinking of getting a cheap 4 channel amp like this Pyramid 300 watt job. Actually puts out a max of 75 watts per channel. More like 40 watts nominal. Cheap-o price $46.00

Then four 6.5 inch speakers that will handle the higher wattage and most likely sound better than the factory speakers.

Thinking of these Kenwood KFC-1662S speakers. Only rated 35 watts each, but that should work with the way over-rated pyramid amp. Also have a 35-22k f/r that is probably better than the factory stereo anyway. $37.50 /pr.

If I go with the amp and the Kenwood speakers, the whole mess should run less than $125.

Think this will get me where I want to be?
    Last edited by Mark42; 10-30-2009, 10:45 AM.

Re: Upgrade to base model stereo.

BTW, if anyone is interested, here some additional specs for the Pyramid amp that are not listed on retail sites. I got this from the manual on the Pyramid website. THD spec is actually much better than I expected! Better than lots of amps costing 3 times as much! LOL!

Frequency Response 20-30K
    THD 0.5% at 20 watts
    Output Power 4x75 w Max, 4x35 RMS

Comment

You're not just paying for SQ with a more expensive amp, you're also paying for electronic quality and longevity. Just because you want to spend a small amount of money doesn't mean you have to settle for crappy items. Here's my suggestion.

Search ebay for a used or refurbished 4 channel amp with a more reputable name. Look for kicker, rockford fosgate, pioneer, stuff like that. You should be able to find something in your price range that will have better sound than the pyramid amp you mentioned. You might get an amp with a few dings/dents/scratches, but it sounds like you want to hide whatever you get anyway, so that shouldn't matter.

As far as speakers, I've found the cheapest and best sounding speakers to be Pioneers. (That is certainly not to say they are the best sounding speakers, just that I've found them to be the best bang for buck). I picked up a set of Pioneer two ways used in the for sale section of this site for $20, and powered by a kicker amp that i got used on eBay, they do a fine job satisfying my near audiophile taste. (They are, however in the rear seats, and between my Rainbow door speakers and Elemental Design sub, the pioneers mostly just fill in a bit of midbass, but they still sound quite decent by themselves)

I realize you're not going for sound quality, but an amp like that will likely distort the sound before you're happy with the output, and no one likes choppy distorted music.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Here is something that may satisfy your needs and then some:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLARION-4-CHANNE...#ht_1843wt_939

I searched 4 channel car amplifier and sorted by price. Avoid Pyramid, Thump, Crunch, Sony, Jensen, Autotec. Pretty much everything below that price point is not really worth the money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-TS-G1642...#ht_3833wt_939

That brings the total so rougly the same, about 130 bucks shipped.
        Then just keep in mind you'll need speaker wire and an amp install kit.

I believe these are the actual model I have in my sail panels:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-OF-PIONEER-...#ht_5332wt_939
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm a bit out of touch with what is good and what is crap. Although I did help my son put a high end stereo in a Mountianeer last weekend. Was surprised that the connectors were off-the-shelf items at walmart.

Anyway, I'm a little leery of buying USED electronics. Especially from ebay!

But I see what you mean, there are good buys on better brand names.

I was going to use the factory speaker wire. For a nominal 30 watts RMS, I think the factory wire will suffice.

Thought that I would get the connectors to plug into the factory wire harness, then use the pig tails to the amp. And another connector from the amp to the head unit. These I think are available at places like Walmart.

Thanks again,

Mark

Comment

I bought a refurbished kicker 400 watt amp off ebay for $130. That's a steal for a kicker amp. I've had it over a year now with zero problems. I have alpine doors and pioneer 6x9s in the rear hatch area and 2 subs and it sounds great. I have a 2 channel pioneer amp I'm gonna hook up to my speakers some day.... :P
            auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
            15.11@91.14
            Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Check out craigslist. I bought my kicker amp on ebay refurbished, the kx350.4 for about 100 shipped. It's powering the Pioneers and bridged to the sub. Had it over 2 years I think now with no problems. If you buy from a reputable seller on eBay, you'll almost always be fine. I've made 60+ transactions on eBay, and though not every single one was painless, I have yet to lose any money or end up with bad items. But if you like the local scene, like I said, craigslist might have just what you're looking for.
              sigpic
              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

i agree with Schlotzky, ive replaced all my speakers and got pretty basic pioneer speakers in my car, pioneer is definitely good bang for your buck :dj:
                Robby
                2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
                sigpic

Comment

I see the Pioneer TS-G1642R speakers are listed on Crutchfield as not fitting the 98 Firebird. But the TS-G1643R does. The '3R are more expensive than the '2R (on ebay), but have the same spec.

To complicate things, Crutchfield says both speakers fit a '98 Camaro.

So why does TS-G1642R fit the Camaro and not the Firebird? Are there differences in the door panels or speaker grills?

TS-G1642R: Crutchfield says "no fit" Firebird.

TS-G1643R: Crutchfield says "fits" Firebird.
                  Last edited by Mark42; 11-04-2009, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Since you have the base model stereo, it makes things a lot easier for upgrading. I will say that whatever fits the Camaro should no doubt fit the Firebird, but out of curiosity, I'd hit the chat button on the Crutchfield site. They have very helpful and knowledgeable staff that should be able to let you know exactly why it's listed as not fitting. Whether or not it practically will.

It may be something like the grills being slightly larger on the 2r and so it's listed to not fit. Or it may just be incorrectly categorized. I know for my Buick, basically no stereos where listed as fitting because my spot is quite shallow. I found this out by talking to them, and ended up getting it from them anyway. It fits tight, but well, with the exception of the surround bulging about 1/2" out in the center. Completely unnoticeable with the design of the dash.
                    sigpic
                    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I would have to agree with what these fellas said above. I bought my dad a refurbished kicker 300.4 (or maybe only 2 channel) for christmas two years ago, along with a kicker box and sub, i spent like 120 for everything shipped. the amp came with a test sheet showing actual wattage output, which was like 350 watts instead of 300. He blares the mess out of it and still hasnt blown anything. I love kicker when it comes to bass.

As far as speakers/components I use ample audio, they sound absolutely amazing. But, they cost a little change. I have componets running off of my head unit, pioneer(when it comes to heads, i love pioneer) and i have rockford coaxials in the back, they sound good too! surf ebay for good deals from really reputable sellers, not some kid in his house. i had trouble one time the guy didnt ship my head unit for over a month, not until i threatend to report him did he finally ship it.
                      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X