1997 PCM for HPTuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 PCM for HPTuners

I searched and found a jumbled amount of information that I would like to clear up.

I have a 1996 manual and need a 1997 PCM for HPTuners.

-If I buy a 1997 auto PCM from a junkyard, do I need to know the VIN# to license it to HPTuners to write a tune?
    -I can write in a bin from a 1997 manual with HPTuners on the junkyard PCM, correct?
    -If I buy a 1997 PCM from an ebay store that has no programming on it, how do I license that PCM to HPTuners if there is no information on it to license?
    -What is this about a difference between the operating system programmed to the PCM and the vin# programmed to the PCM

Confused!

Thank you!
    1996 white camaro M5<br />-Custom CAI, !MAF, !EGR, Hi-Flow Cat, Magnaflow Cat-back, Removed Jack/Spare/Back seats.<br /><br />2.12 60\' Best<br />15.14 @ 90 1/4 mile Best

Re: 1997 PCM for HPTuners

1 no

2 no

3 HPT licences the serial number of the PCM not the VIN and the ebay PCM wold have a VIN on it, just not yours.

4 they need to be matched as GM did or HPT will not allow you to tune it.
    sigpic

Comment

Why can't I write in a bin for a 97 manual into a 97 auto pcm?

From what I gather on HPTuners help page about licensing:

With 2 credits, I license my vehicle (the 97 pcm serial number), license the files when I read them off the pcm, and then license any changes I save to those files (removing the autmomatic transmission stuff).

To write someone elses files into my pcm, I would be licensing different files and it would cost 2 more credits?

I am sorry if you feel you are talking to a wall. The whole vin# topic has me confused.
      1996 white camaro M5<br />-Custom CAI, !MAF, !EGR, Hi-Flow Cat, Magnaflow Cat-back, Removed Jack/Spare/Back seats.<br /><br />2.12 60\' Best<br />15.14 @ 90 1/4 mile Best

Comment

Originally posted by saltnvinegar6287 View Post
        Why can't I write in a bin for a 97 manual into a 97 auto pcm?

From what I gather on HPTuners help page about licensing:

With 2 credits, I license my vehicle (the 97 pcm serial number), license the files when I read them off the pcm, and then license any changes I save to those files (removing the autmomatic transmission stuff).

To write someone elses files into my pcm, I would be licensing different files and it would cost 2 more credits?

I am sorry if you feel you are talking to a wall. The whole vin# topic has me confused.

You are correct on the licensing. The VIN has nothing to do with it. Lots of people have trouble understanding the license.
        sigpic

Comment

I understand now.

My PLX wideband is arriving next Thursday, I am going to buy the 97 auto pcm from the junkyard this Monday, and when I get HPTuners Pro next week I will decide if I want to compare the pcm's auto tune to a manual tune and make the necessary changes or if I want to use two more credits and just do a write entire with the manual tune to save some time and use credits I wouldn't use anyway.

How much do you think the auto tune will differ from the manual tune?
          Last edited by saltnvinegar6287; 07-11-2009, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by saltnvinegar6287 View Post
            I understand now.

My PLX wideband is arriving next Thursday, I am going to buy the 97 auto pcm from the junkyard this Monday, and when I get HPTuners Pro next week I will decide if I want to compare the pcm's auto tune to a manual tune and make the necessary changes or if I want to use two more credits and just do a write entire with the manual tune to save some time and use credits I wouldn't use anyway.

How much do you think the auto tune will differ from the manual tune?
            you don't need more credits to change to a manual tune....

auto tune and manual tunes, differences are just in the trans tables
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

you can open compare files and copy and paste...no need to waste two credits

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                you don't need more credits to change to a manual tune....

auto tune and manual tunes, differences are just in the trans tables

And the OBD II codes. YOU need to disable the ones for the auto trans.
                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X