tuning for a stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuning for a stall

Well the car goes to get the stall put in on probably the 27th of this month...just wondering how/what I should be tunning for. It is a custom 3200 stall going in the car.

For starters, I am not sure how I turn the PWM off...Im not sure how a stall effects shift points, or the lock ups and what not.

I am happy with the points that my stock converter locks up now at...I would like it to drive as close to stock as possible, and only know I really have one when I get on it...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: tuning for a stall

Thats why I haven't messed with aftermarket stalls, with my 3.73's the stock stall gets me over 3000 RPMS after every shift. So I'm pretty much satisfied with the stock. If I did get another i might try a S-10 stall which would be about a 2800-3000 on our cars.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

yea but stalls are not just meant to take you higher in the rpms after the shift...thats only a small part...the tq multiplication they give you at the beginning is a huge advantage...something you cant get with stock factory stalls...

Comment

Set the TCC duty cycle min table to 99% and the max table to 100% in every block to disable the PWM. You will feel it bump when it locks up like it just shifted another gear.
        Last edited by bigbrian442; 04-15-2009, 01:30 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

perfect...is it safe to do that with the stock tq converter still in?

and how about the lock up times and force applied tables...Do I need to change those?

and a stall shouldnt effect the shift points I dont think right? I mean if I have the shift points set a 6300 rpm...they should still be at 6300rpm...nothing should be thrown off I dont think right?

Comment

97rs4life sent me a file for tuning the trans and it worked very well with my shift kit. Chirps 2nd and 3rd gear when at WOT and drives normal when crusing.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yes, it is safe. You will feel it lock up harder but not as hard as the stall will lock up. GM did that to make it not noticeable but it will burn up the clutch in the stall.

No to the lock up times. The force motor current should already be adjusted.

The shouldn't effect your shift points. It should be very close to 1:1 by then.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                Yes, it is safe. You will feel it lock up harder but not as hard as the stall will lock up. GM did that to make it not noticeable but it will burn up the clutch in the stall.

No to the lock up times. The force motor current should already be adjusted.

The shouldn't effect your shift points. It should be very close to 1:1 by then.
                Brain , do you have a pic of the screen to do the adjustments or a file you can send where the adjustments have been made, so I can try this. Or a write up that explains what area to go in and what adjustments need to be made in that area. Also do this work with a car with a shift kit? Thanks Steve

Comment

A shift kit gives the PCM less control over the pressures and boosts them up for the harder/firmer shift. It may not make a difference changing the force motor current with the shift kit.

Disabling the TCC PWM will make the converter lock up feel like another shift. It does away with engaging the converter clutch slowly and as soon as the PCM asks for lock up it's 100% locked.

Here are the screen shots of HPT.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the screen shots, so can I still use these even with my shift kit?

Comment

The PWM disable yes, and it should make a difference in how hard the converter locks. The Force motor current may or may not make a difference as the shift kit already bumps the trans pressures up. It might make the trans shift harder at WOT or you may not feel a difference.
                      sigpic

Comment

I stumbled upon a thread on ls1tech where guys were talking about the car boucning off the rev limiter when they put there stalls in? what would cause that, and would that be an issue for me?

Comment

The PCM not being able to react fast enough to make the shift on time or the limiter being set too close to the shift point would cause that. How fast were the cars having trouble. You would only need to move the shift points down to compensate.
                          sigpic

Comment

didnt say how fast they were...there was just a question asked about who needed tuning after doing a stall...and some guys were commenting on the issues they had.

I guess maybe the downshift part of the tables could play a role in that as well...

Some people were talking about vibrations going into 4th...Im assuming they left the pwm on...

Guys were also saying the verter felt really "loose" until they tuned it...That I dont know about...I probably wont know about this until the converter is installed...

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                              The PWM disable yes, and it should make a difference in how hard the converter locks. The Force motor current may or may not make a difference as the shift kit already bumps the trans pressures up. It might make the trans shift harder at WOT or you may not feel a difference.

BigBrian , I changed the setting on the Auto TCC duty clcle, the max and min. in my settings were different , only 1 table on max that had a 96 in it, so I changed that to 100 and the min. was just 1 table across and I changed that. Did the other force shift points putting 100 to 0. Took it for a spin and it seemed to downshift better then it did before, no hesitation or anything. When I pressed the pedal at any speed it would lock up and go, your right on how hard it shifted it was the same but I like the lock up anytime I go WOT , thanks for the info and the screen shots really helped. Great Job. Thanks again Steve

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X