Help, engine temp sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, engine temp sensor

Okay so here is my problem... we all know are temperature sensor located in the lower intake is not 100% accurate, right? So i bought a glowshift digital temperature sensor. The only problem is i cannot find a spot on the heads or block to place the sensor. I didnt want to mount it in intake cause i wanted to get exact reading (had former overheating problems from bad intake gasket). Since i couldnt find anything i decided to put a t fitting in from the regular engine temperature sensor, unfortunately i was having problems getting an exact reading was getting about 150 on digital and actual pcm sensor. I am guess because it was so far external from the intake. The problem is our stock sensor thread size is 3/4 and my aftermarket one is 1/4 i was thinking about running a "y" from intake port but i cant find one? Anyone know of another spot to put my aftermarket sensor? I tried splicing to factory but no good since it threw computer through a loop!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help, engine temp sensor

its not the sensor the gauges is a dummy gauge the sensor is fine..
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

what did u pay for your digital gauge ?
      1997 Camaro LS1 RS
      1994 Camaro - Sold
      1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

If you going to put a guage in do it in the lower radiator hose returning the hot water to the radiator. You can buy the hose adapters the the sensor will fit in.
        Last edited by ssms5411; 04-12-2009, 02:49 AM.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

splice into the heater core lines, they always have coolent in them
          www.turbov6camaro.com
          1997 3800 Series II Camaro
          4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
          7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
          11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

^ I think it would be more accurate reading as to how hot the engine is if it is in the radiator coolant return hose plus they make the metal adapter 32mm with a 1/8th" fitting for the sensor that fits the lower radiator hose, since it is returning the hot coolant from the engine should be pretty accurate spot on how hot the coolant is. Or tee off the ECT so you'll have 2 sensors on the lower intake manifold.LOL I bought one of the hose adapters with the 1/8th" fitting for my turbo, so it will feed coolant to it from the ECT tamp fitting with a T fitting and drain in the return hose going to the radiator. Plus I can see what coolant temps are going into the turbo with my Aeroforce scan gauge.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 04-12-2009, 03:04 AM.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

the lower rad hose only circulates if the thermo is open the heater core hose circulate all the time
              www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo V6 Camaro View Post
                the lower rad hose only circulates if the thermo is open the heater core hose circulate all the time
                That is true,good call, damm. So if I run my coolant into the lower radiator hose will it just back up or will it still flow into it since the pressure is coming off the ECT where it is circulating in the engine from the water pump? I'm worried now that the water flow through the turbo will get backed up from the lower hose.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  That is true,good call, damm. So if I run my coolant into the lower radiator hose will it just back up or will it still flow into it since the pressure is coming off the ECT where it is circulating in the engine from the water pump? I'm worried now that the water flow through the turbo will get backed up from the lower hose.
                  does the coolent gravity drain out of the turbo?
                  www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Yes, I'm going to have it Tee off the ECT then go down to the hose adapter to the lower radiator hose, but it takes about 5 mins or so to heat up to 160 temp, this is in 80-90 degree temp right now. In about a month it will be 100+ and in June it will be 110+ so I think it will heat up alot quicker esp. doing the under K setup like Teful Huden, but I have a TUB. K and using 3" oval piping, with stock ride height. I asked Teful Hunden about his which he uses the heater coolant lines and told him about how I'm setting mine up and he said it should be fine. I think as long as their is coolant in the bearings for the turbo it will be fine and aslong as it starts flowing coolant through it when it gets warm it will be fine. The garrett dealer said I should be fine also as long as coolant flows through the turbo when it gets warm, he said the coolant in the bearings is there so it doesn't have the oil coking after shutting the car off, so no turbo timer is needed. I don't think the coolant will back up since it is gravity feed and is pressurized from the water pump turning. I also like it there because I can see what coolant temps are going through the turbo. I use 50/50 mix with RP ice. What do you think Andrew, I view your opinion since you've been running your turbo for years now, my turbo parts list is in my Cardomain site ?

Comment

Yes, I'm going to have it Tee off the ECT then go down to the hose adapter to the lower radiator hose, but it takes about 5 mins or so to heat up to 160 temp, this is in 80-90 degree temp right now. In about a month it will be 100+ and in June it will be 110+ so I think it will heat up alot quicker esp. doing the under K setup like Teful Huden, but I have a TUB. K and using 3" oval piping, with stock ride height. I asked Teful Hunden about his which he uses the heater coolant lines and told him about how I'm setting mine up and he said it should be fine. I think as long as their is coolant in the bearings for the turbo it will be fine and aslong as it starts flowing coolant through it when it gets warm it will be fine. The garrett dealer said I should be fine also as long as coolant flows through the turbo when it gets warm, he said the coolant in the bearings is there so it doesn't have the oil coking after shutting the car off, so no turbo timer is needed. I don't think the coolant will back up since it is gravity feed and is pressurized from the water pump turning. I also like it there because I can see what coolant temps are going through the turbo. I use 50/50 mix with RP ice. What do you think Andrew, I view your opinion since you've been running your turbo for years now, my turbo parts list is in my Cardomain site ?
                      my turbo is not water cooled,

the lower hose is the feed to the motor, the upper hose goes back to the RAD.

I don't see how it will gravity drain to a pressurized source. But TH knows his stuff so i'd do what he says. :cool:
                      www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

I thought the upper flows to the motor and the lower flows to the radiator? Is that right?

Comment

I thought the upper flows to the motor and the lower flows to the radiator? Is that right?
                          i thought that to untill i had the hose off and water was pushing out of the motor from the thremos hose and being sucked down the upper hose (its a fast way to bleed it lol
                          www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Your right the upper flows out , I just looked it up, then the bottom has to flow in. So I should be good if I'm taking coolant out from the block and putting it back in through the lower radiator hose, kind of like a cirulating system.LOL Thanks for pointing that out though because I thought it was the other way around , but this is actually better for me then so I don't have to worry about it backing up or not moving. This is why I like to ask Veterans questions.LOL Thanks for your help, good luck on doing that back pressure testing, Steve

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X