upping spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upping spark

Ok, so once I finish getting my afr all dialed in, I want to begin adding spark timing....what would be the safest/most effiecient way to go about adding spark without sitting there for 4 weeks adding a point at a time, and without doing damage to the engine?...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: upping spark

I do mine by adding 2 degrees each time, only in the high areas where I would hit , then check for KR and watch my A/F. Since if you up spark you might have to add fuel. Once you get 1 degree in a box, then back it off by 2, to be safe this is in the high octane, I also use the smoothing feature too, then once done I copy/paste to low Oct. and then subract 3 to 4 degrees and smooth it out again and save it. Thats how I do mine. Good luck.
    Last edited by ssms5411; 03-15-2009, 08:33 PM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Subtracting -3 or -4 would be like adding 3 or 4 degrees

End math rant, lol

^What he said is how I went about the tune as well.

Comment

So you guys dont add to any of the other spark tables...i.e. the IAT base, AFR correction, ECT spark ect...?

Comment

Is there a write up at all on this that people have found? I think it would be pretty tedius to tune through the octane tables...trying to remember when/where to add and subtract timing...

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
            So you guys dont add to any of the other spark tables...i.e. the IAT base, AFR correction, ECT spark ect...?

The AFR correction base table I have Zeroed. I have the IAT table almost stock, I did have to remove some timing when the IAT is over 86*F. The ECT table is stock.
            sigpic

Comment

would it be a good idea to leave all the tables that add timing (higher numbers) and zero all the tables that pull timing (lower numbers)...then just pull timing myself through the octane tables?

Comment

I zero out the section of the tables that the car will see under
                normal operating temps/conditions. I leave the extreme conditions
                alone just in case.

Comment

Guys which cells in the octane tables are for cruising? and which are for WOT...

I need to know on both the RPM side and on the g/cylinder side...

edit: I just want to double check to that adding spark to get power is actually subtracting it on the octane tables right? so 20 is better then 24 for instance?
                  Last edited by LETZRIDE; 05-05-2009, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                    Guys which cells in the octane tables are for cruising? and which are for WOT...

I need to know on both the RPM side and on the g/cylinder side...

edit: I just want to double check to that adding spark to get power is actually subtracting it on the octane tables right? so 20 is better then 24 for instance?
                    you need to go for a cruise and see where you are sitting while cruising. different driving styles will hit different cells. No you add to the table, 24* is better than 20*
                    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                      you need to go for a cruise and see where you are sitting while cruising. different driving styles will hit different cells. No you add to the table, 24* is better than 20*
                      Crap...I went for a cruise and I logged info in the spark retard table. Every cell that I was hitting I went over to my high octane table and clicked add -2 to each of those cells....So I was going the wrong way this entire tuning trip...damn it

Comment

I only use high /low oct. tables , I think mine is set at 24 on high oct table at the highest point. which it still hits 26-27 degrees timing sometimes, low is set at 4 degrees lower at 19 at the highest point so it will give me some room if I get KR.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

really? I have 49 degrees in some spots...

Comment

I'm talking about WOT timing in the lower right hand side of the timing tables. Then whatever your timing is at WOT is your timing. I don't see the need for 49 degrees of timing for any of the tables. I think my highest is 39 and that is from the stock timing setup in the low areas. The most timing at WOT should be 28 degress at max, anything above it you won't see anymore benefit from it. Also watch your KR if your running that much timing in some spots.

Comment

so far I have no knock anywhere...except the odd 1 degree that might pop up...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X