Mail Order Tune, what could I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mail Order Tune, what could I do?

I have been searching the boards but I cant find an answer. I have been contemplating getting a mail order tune done but dont know what I should do or if I even have enough mods for it. I have a 180* thermostat, free ram air mod, air silencer delete, and a flowmaster catback. Should I just wait until I have more mods done or would getting a mail order tune benefit me at all? I plan to get HP tuners some time in the future but right now just a bit to rich foro my blood. If it would benefit me, what kinda stuff should I do with my current setup. I will be getting pacesetters here in the very near future btw. Thanks for the help in advance.

Re: Mail Order Tune, what could I do?

Mail Order tune isnt worth it for you.

wait and buy HPTuners, thats all they use when you send it in, you will be much happier with having the ability to do it yourself in the long run.
    Y87 Package
    MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
    BONE APPROVED!
    VANBIBBER APPROVED!
    KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
    Team Black...TEAM EMO
    sigpic
    Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

i keep hearing hp tuners...im not a computer guy, but can the average joe use HPtuners?
      would yall recommend a mail order tune if i were done with modifications. Like i just got almost the last bit of modding im going to do done, would you see fit to use it only once, and can they get as good of a tune sending it in?
      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
        i keep hearing hp tuners...im not a computer guy, but can the average joe use HPtuners?
        would yall recommend a mail order tune if i were done with modifications. Like i just got almost the last bit of modding im going to do done, would you see fit to use it only once, and can they get as good of a tune sending it in?
        for a bolt on car, sure go mail order, if you get into the engine or FI then you would want your own copy of hptuners
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

its not all that hard to use, but is very hard to master.
          There are lots of forums with write ups on how to use the software.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

I have a mail order tune from Texas Speed and am quite pleased with it. The things I remember them doing were:

- Removing speed limiter (have not confirmed this, I'm kinda chicken about driving over 118)
            - Removed torque management
            - Turned off the post-cat O2
            - Lowered the temp at which the fans turn on
            - Adjusted the fuel trims
            - Firmed up the shifts

They probably did some other stuff that I don't recall. But when I got the PCM back and went for a test drive, the car was definitely peppier and felt better to drive.

I would certainly recommend it for this basic stuff. But if I were do get into anything more advanced, I would get a copy of HP Tuners.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

i am actually about to get this done from pcmforless.com but i figure i need a tune badly and it is only $150.
              96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

Why do you feel you need a tune badly?
                2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

speedo's off for starters and i run n2o so i have 93 in the car anyway might as well set the computer for it as well as remove top speed limiter and change the shift points for the gear change.
                  as a full bolt on car i should be able to run better then a 15.64 gotta be in the tune because it isnt driver error.
                  96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

Originally posted by David8399 View Post
                    speedo's off for starters and i run n2o so i have 93 in the car anyway might as well set the computer for it as well as remove top speed limiter and change the shift points for the gear change.
                    as a full bolt on car i should be able to run better then a 15.64 gotta be in the tune because it isnt driver error.
                    post the whole timeslip up.

but IMO, if you dont plan on modding the car much more, yea go mial-order.
                    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

what if you do a cam and other stuff like that but dont plan on doing any more modding. would you reccommend a mail order tune? or should they only be used for bolt on type stuff. (cant afford hp tuners)

Comment

If you're doing internal engine mods and running nitrous I would think you'd be better served getting HP Tuners or taking it to a shop and have them tune it on a dyno.

Comment

well im doing cam and porting stuff out but no nitrous. i cant decide how i should tune it because im not going to shell out the cash for hp tuners right now.

Comment

heads/cam setups need more tuning than a nitrous set up.

heads/cam you really need to get it on a dyno or have hptuners. if its a decent size cam your going to have SES codes and you wont get the most power out of it.
                            1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

I am gonna go to the track this up coming wedensday and i will post up the slip. with and with out the n2o.
                              Last edited by David8399; 01-15-2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X