PCM Problems - Please Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCM Problems - Please Help!!

Well, my pcm was fried, so bought one from pcmforless.com, and today I got the chance to install it. Before putting it in place, I connected the pcm and tested it to see if the car could turn on, and it turned on. I disconected the pcm again, and putted it in place and reconnected it. And then, I connected my laptop to see the new configuration with HPTuners (only reading the pcm) and HPTuners couldn't locate the pcm, and when I saw that, I tried to turn on the car again, and I just could hear the starter trying to turn the engine on, but the car wasn't even trying to run.

Please can someone tell me what's happening here!

Re: PCM Problems - Please Help!!

are you sure you reconnected the wires? tell me you didnt buy a 97 pcm?...you are most likely not going to be able to use you hp tuners to tune it now...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Did you turn the car on while it was trying to read the PCM? If you did you might have fried the pcm.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Sounds like you're doing something in HP tuners that's screwing your pcm's up. They don't just fry themselves. I've almost fried a pcm before while writing changes and my friends battery ran out, but after couple hours even recovered from that. Are you sure you're not screwing something up in HPt?

Comment

Originally posted by lubsvitek View Post
          Sounds like you're doing something in HP tuners that's screwing your pcm's up. They don't just fry themselves. I've almost fried a pcm before while writing changes and my friends battery ran out, but after couple hours even recovered from that. Are you sure you're not screwing something up in HPt?
          he said he couldnt read it with hpt...as it was not locating it...

Comment

try charging the battery

TEAM C6V6

Comment

doubt it's the battery...the car fired up fine the first time....are you sure you didnt cross the wires in the harness and hook em up to the wrong side?

Comment

If he was reading the PCM for the first time getting the stock file out and tried starting the car it would fry the PCM. Because it is not just in the flash mode, it is in the OS ,so my guess is PCM dead or like LETZRIDE said he connected the blue and clear side wrong.
                Last edited by ssms5411; 12-19-2008, 11:07 PM.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                  are you sure you reconnected the wires? tell me you didnt buy a 97 pcm?...you are most likely not going to be able to use you hp tuners to tune it now...
                  Explain
                  Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                    doubt it's the battery...the car fired up fine the first time....are you sure you didnt cross the wires in the harness and hook em up to the wrong side?
                    ah yeah, i missed that part.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

You can not hurt the PCM from "reading " it. Regardless if you try to start it or not.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                        Explain
                        PCM for less Sold him a re flashed 97 PCM with a 96 operating system and 96 (his) VIN. HPT will not allow you to license a non matching operating system/VIN/PCM. Not a problem with PCM for less product, But a problem for him because he purchased HPT and want to start tuning himself. It's a safety built into HPT to keep people from killing their PCM from flashing the wrong operating system into it. 99 and newer PCM's have this safety build into them. 98 and older don't .
                        sigpic

Comment

^ exactly...something along those lines...nothing wrong with pcmforless, just saying from first hand experience that if you put a 97 into a 96 that is from pcmforless, chances are you will not be able to tune with hpt....apparently there are several other 96's on a few other forums who have had this same problem.... I just mentioned it because the OP said he had hpt...so I assume he will want to tune his vehicle later...not sure about pcm's from other years though...something like a 99pcm may be fine... I think it is only an issue with a 96-97 pcm, b/c the 96's can't be tuned...

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                            You can not hurt the PCM from "reading " it. Regardless if you try to start it or not.
                            When you first hook HP tuners to the car and download the current tune on it , it tells you not to touch or turn on anything on the car or it can damage the Pcm, since it is copying the OS from the pcm. Their have been people who have fried or damage their PCM. This from HPtuners:

Warning

Do not disrupt the programming session.
                            Do not open vehicle doors or use vehicle accessories.
                            Do not program vehicles with battery voltage lower than 11.5
                            Do not program vehicles while hooked up to car battery charger.
                            Last edited by ssms5411; 12-20-2008, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                              When you first hook HP tuners to the car and download the current tune on it , it tells you not to touch or turn on anything on the car or it can damage the Pcm, since it is copying the OS from the pcm. Their have been people who have fried or damage their PCM. This from HPtuners:

Warning

Do not disrupt the programming session.
                              Do not open vehicle doors or use vehicle accessories.
                              Do not program vehicles with battery voltage lower than 11.5
                              Do not program vehicles while hooked up to car battery charger.
                              This all refers to programing not reading. Reading is non intrusive.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X