Electric Fuel Pressure Sensor, How to - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Fuel Pressure Sensor, How to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Fuel Pressure Sensor, How to

Looking into buying a fuel pressure gauge for my firebird because not to long ago i had a fuel pump go bad and because i didnt detect the lean ness and the low fuel pressure it messed up things, like my cat (hoping to get a air/fuel ratio gauge to). Anyhow found a decent price on one on glowshift and it says it is electrical not mechanical so i can put it on a gauge pod in the car. Only question i have is i have never installed one before and it says it comes with the sending unit which is 1/8 NPT Electrical Sender Unit. Does this mount right to the fuel pressure rail where you would hook up a regular mechanical fuel pressure gauge or somewhere else?

Here is link for fuel pressure gauge im looking at buying.
    HTML Code:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-BLACK-7-COLOR-ELECTRICAL-FUEL-PSI-GAUGE-CLEAR-LENS_W0QQitemZ270294986013QQihZ017QQcategoryZ14932QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Sorry for the lame questions just want to get to learn the most out of my bird... thanks!

Re: Electric Fuel Pressure Sensor, How to

Okay i've looked into it a little bit more throughout the web and i believe i need a fitting to hook into the fuel rail then i attach the electrical sender to that correct? If so can anyone give me the link to the fitting i need to hook my 2000 3.8 fuel rail (the little thread bump out to hook mechanical gauge to) into a 1/8 npt electrical sending unit?

Also got to looking into air/fuel ratio gauges and if i hook it directly up to my narrowband before the cat i will only get an accurate reading at idle correct? As opposed to a wideband where i will get full time accurate reading?

Thanks

Comment

The fitting will go into the vent valve on the fuel rail. Don't know where you'd get an adapter, try jegs, it's just an NPT fitting.

You'll hook your a/f gauge up to the narrowband before the cat, and yes, you will get an accurate reading all the time, just not as accurate as a wideband (it will show rich at WOT, and bounce all the other time, and show nothing during decel.)
      Y87 Package
      MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
      BONE APPROVED!
      VANBIBBER APPROVED!
      KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
      Team Black...TEAM EMO
      sigpic
      Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

For the A/F gauge I would just get to an exhaust shop and have them weld an O2 bung into your exhaust pipe. Very simple procedure and then you can get true A/F readings and not just the lean/rich bouncing indicator. You won't regret it. Do some searching on here and you'll see what I mean about wideband vs narrowband.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npNebHpSG20

the gauge on the bottom is what you will see with a narrowband.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, helps a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by fredbmxer4life View Post
              Okay i've looked into it a little bit more throughout the web and i believe i need a fitting to hook into the fuel rail then i attach the electrical sender to that correct? If so can anyone give me the link to the fitting i need to hook my 2000 3.8 fuel rail (the little thread bump out to hook mechanical gauge to) into a 1/8 npt electrical sending unit?
              Thanks
              When i installed my electric fuel psi gauge i used a gage adapter -4 male to -4 female and a -4 cap. make sure you take out the shrader valve first. I also did not tighten down the cap all the way until after i wrapped it in rags and primed the pump a few times to get all the air out of the system. that way the air didn't collect at the sender. Then i tighted down the cap. and checked for leaks. also make sure you use teflon tape on the pipe thread, it will leak there if you dont, just make sure you dont get any into your fuel lines.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
              Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
              Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
              Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
              Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X