OBD II Connector is no longer receiving power - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OBD II Connector is no longer receiving power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD II Connector is no longer receiving power

Ok...this is the on-going saga of the non-emissions passing Camaro.

So, since I cannot pass emissions, I cannot get the car's title in my name, nor can I get it registered.

So, I take the car to get a 30 day tag for it, and stop by Autozone for a free OBD code reading. Low and behold, the OBD II connector no has no power.

I disconnect/reconnect the cig lighter, verifiy that all fuses are still working, but the OBD connector is still not receiving any power.

So, back to the garage tonight with my hammer and chisel to solve this new, totally awesome issue.

Re: OBD II Connector is no longer receiving power

emissions, clean or change out the EGR, all three 02 sensors. I believe there are 3, mine has 3, get a new cat convert. and exhaust.. you should pass with no problems..

archer. that sucks about no power getting to the OBD-II plug. check wiring is all I can say and ground points.

Archer
    MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

you sure all the fuses are good? the one fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel?
      90% of the time that's the problem

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

and I stand corrected, its 4 o2 sensors.. 1 on each header, 1 before the cat and 1 after the cat..

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
          emissions, clean or change out the EGR, all three 02 sensors. I believe there are 3, mine has 3, get a new cat convert. and exhaust.. you should pass with no problems..

archer. that sucks about no power getting to the OBD-II plug. check wiring is all I can say and ground points.

Archer
          thats not going to do anything, emissions is passed or failed by what the OBD system says

if it isnt getting any power, the car wont pass

you may, however be able to get a sniff test done.. but im not entirely sure how your state/county works with emissions stuff

Comment

so if they cant read it, they cant pass it, dude that sucks, Im glad we dont h ave emission test here in ohio.. sorry to hear that man, I would take it to an electronic auto repair place and have them look into it. or hell even ask them, they might be able to tell ya what it is.

But like meaty said, pull every fuse 1 at a time and check all of them even under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
              so if they cant read it, they cant pass it, dude that sucks, Im glad we dont h ave emission test here in ohio.. sorry to hear that man, I would take it to an electronic auto repair place and have them look into it. or hell even ask them, they might be able to tell ya what it is.

But like meaty said, pull every fuse 1 at a time and check all of them even under the hood.
              yup you are correct, in 95+ cars they basically dont even do emissions testing.. the car does it for them

Comment

OBDII connector draws it's power from the Cig lighter fuse. Check that.
                -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

I have checked all fuses under the hood and to the left of the dash. All are in correct working condition.
                  However...and I am sure some may laugh or shriek at this...when I purchased the car last week, the radio power continually cut on/off randomly. So naturally, I figured it was the wiring, and checked the fuse box to make sure that the correct fuse (too large) was being used.
                  Sure enough, the fse box calls for a 15A (I think), and the guy had installed a 25. Nice...I thought, who knows what it could be now.
                  So I started invetigating all the fuses, and out of the 12 that were in the box, only 5 of them were setup correctly.
                  Some had a smaller fuse, and others had a larger.
                  So, taking logic by the horns, I went out and grabbed a few new fuses and went to work resetting them all.
                  The radio still cuts in/out, now the OBD connector is no longer working, and to my awesome suprise this rainy morning at 0500, the wipers no longer work.

So, needless to say, the car is on Craiglist for $2000 obo. If no one gets it in the next 30 days (when the temp tags expire), I will either dump $500 into getting it fixed, or burn it and collect...

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDestruction View Post
                    I have checked all fuses under the hood and to the left of the dash. All are in correct working condition.
                    However...and I am sure some may laugh or shriek at this...when I purchased the car last week, the radio power continually cut on/off randomly. So naturally, I figured it was the wiring, and checked the fuse box to make sure that the correct fuse (too large) was being used.
                    Sure enough, the fse box calls for a 15A (I think), and the guy had installed a 25. Nice...I thought, who knows what it could be now.
                    So I started invetigating all the fuses, and out of the 12 that were in the box, only 5 of them were setup correctly.
                    Some had a smaller fuse, and others had a larger.
                    So, taking logic by the horns, I went out and grabbed a few new fuses and went to work resetting them all.
                    The radio still cuts in/out, now the OBD connector is no longer working, and to my awesome suprise this rainy morning at 0500, the wipers no longer work.

So, needless to say, the car is on Craiglist for $2000 obo. If no one gets it in the next 30 days (when the temp tags expire), I will either dump $500 into getting it fixed, or burn it and collect...
                    thats horrible, electric wiring is the worst stuff to do in cars

if you have time on your hands you can take the dash apart and follow all of the wires and re do them

sounds like whoever you bought the car off of had no idea what they were doing, and cut/patched wires wrong

Comment

Might need a new PCM, or check the PCM wires to make sure they are seated correctly and the harness is tighten down on the PCM.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

So, I checked the OBD connector during lunch yesterday, and sure enough, it now has power. Still have the SES light on, P0102, which is being checked by Napa tomorrow. They checked the MAF sensor last time I was there, but maybe they will replace it this time.
                        However, the wipers still do not work (need to check the relay) and now the dash lights are not working as of this morning.
                        This car is becoming more of a POS each morning, so...hopefully I can get everything working long enough to sell it for the $2000 I paid for it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the troubleshooting help and suggestions. I really do appreciate them.

Comment

i seriously hate electrical issues.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X