It just might work....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just might work....

I've been on a crusade for some kind of tuning option for the 3.4 pcm for a bit of time now.

After hearing about a couple members being able to get "mild performance tunes" from ed wright at FASTCHIPS, i was thinking about sending in my PCM over the winter when my car is stored but the 400$ price tag has got my head spinning, especially because all he can really do in essence for me is increase spark advance, increase shift firmness, and remove the top speed limiter, since i dont' have any gears that need changing and my rad. fan doesn't work anyways (he can change the turn on point)

anyhow, to get to the immediate point here, FunkZ had compiled a collection of service #'s for PCM's that are compatible with ours. interestingly enough for the 93 3.4 the 93 3.1 Lumina's code matches up. Now whats interesting about this computer is that it is NOT flash only, it comes with a chip, much like the cars of the 80's.

So heres the question, and i'm starting to get excited now....

if i buy that computer, can i buy a "performance chip" that will fit that computer, and still have it work on my car??

i mean ther service # is the same, the only thing that is different is that it incorporates the old chip style.

before i move onto questions on how to go about tuning with a new chip, i'd like to hear some feedback on if this seems possible.

i even found a website that can custom tune a chip for a 3.1 lumina. http://www.motorvation.tv/chips_gm_cars.htm

it's got options for cams and roller rockers and everything.

The first step would be to get the computer and see if it works, with the stock chip in it, and make sure my car runs properly like that.

Then if that works out, i could send for a custom chip (based on all the modifications on my 3.4) and it SHOULD work out ok because the 3.1 and the 3.4's usually share the same performance parts, for instance i know the cam i want to get is actually made for the 3.1 engine.

then try out the chip and see if it was worth the couple hundred bux or whatever.

so how does all this sound?

thanks

max
    Last edited by tkoforpresident; 08-20-2008, 04:57 AM.

Re: It just might work....

Well I guess first off you need to find a pinout diagram of both PCMs and see if they match up. If not, then hopefully at least the connector style is the same and you can swap the pins around to match it up. If the connectors are different, then you'll need to modify your harness to fit. After that is done, then I imagine it would work.
    -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
      Well I guess first off you need to find a pinout diagram of both PCMs and see if they match up. If not, then hopefully at least the connector style is the same and you can swap the pins around to match it up. If the connectors are different, then you'll need to modify your harness to fit. After that is done, then I imagine it would work.
      gotcha, so even though the service # is the same, physically the pins might be different for the harness?

only one way to fine out... i need to go to a junk yard and find one of these.

hey for 30$ or whatever it would be, its worth testing i suppose eh?

Comment

k so it looks like it just might NOT work.

i've been doin some research, it would appear the PCM's with the removalble eeproms have DIFFERENT wiring harness inlets and would have to be modified.

I'm probably just gonna send my PCM to Ed and Fastchips and see if he can give me a mild tune and do some other small stuff.

thanks for listening to my hopeful rant.

3.4 ftl

Comment

Is it me or would it not be that much work to splice the appropriate harness plug for the junkyard pcm onto your current harness? And that way you could switch back to the stock pcm quite easily if you ever felt like it?

Comment

yea you are better off going standalone than trying to splice together harnesses if you need a tune that bad. If you just have bolt ons then a full out tune is not needed. It is when you start playing with a cam, heads, intakes, and such that tuning becomes an issue
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I dont have much expiriance in the matter but if your planning this as a winter projet then it might be worth the $30 to try to wire a 3.1L PCM to work in your F-bod, not only will it be unique but much cheaper than sending yours off!

Comment

thanks for the advice guys.

as much as i'd love to try to be the first 4th gen firebird with a performance memcal i'm probably NOT the guy to really get into all the wiring schematics.

fastchips here i come....

Comment

if I had a 3.4l fbody to play with I would, but I haven't found a cheap project 3.4l car locally yet
                  http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

just to throw something out there, which would you guys think would be easier? swapping to a obd I pcm out of a 92 F body, or obd II from an n body?

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                      if I had a 3.4l fbody to play with I would, but I haven't found a cheap project 3.4l car locally yet
                      come suffer with us brother.

Comment

are you still trying to spray?

Comment

Originally posted by zpwn06 View Post
                          are you still trying to spray?
                          no, i'm trying a cam. :tup:

Comment

seems like it would work - just get the connection from the 3.1 harness when u pick up the computer, splice it in. Or maybe im over simplifying it. Most of the stuff for our 3.4's came from the 3.1's

id be my next mod after the cam if it worked. Would be awsome to tune the 3.4.

Tell u what ill do the cam swap and try to work out the bugs there with the fuel situation and u do the 3.1 computer swap.
                            Last edited by usp55; 08-22-2008, 11:27 PM.
                            1994 3.4L DSG Camaro
                            Comp Cam 260h w/ 1.6 rockers, J&M STB, UMI 3pt SFC's, Spohn RCA's + Adj. PHR, KYB AGX Shocks, PS Headers, Cutout, Posi Rear w/3.42's, Aluminum DS, Wings West Body Kit, SS Hood/Spoiler, 17" TT2's 9.5/11" 275/315's, 5% tint
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by usp55 View Post
                              seems like it would work - just get the connection from the 3.1 harness when u pick up the computer, splice it in. Or maybe im over simplifying it. Most of the stuff for our 3.4's came from the 3.1's

id be my next mod after the cam if it worked. Would be awsome to tune the 3.4.

Tell u what ill do the cam swap and try to work out the bugs there with the fuel situation and u do the 3.1 computer swap.
                              lol that sounds like a fair deal, but i don't think i'm much of an electronics whizz otherwise i'd give it a shot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X