P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency

I have a 1999 firebird v6 that is a CA car. The shop states my O2 sensors are working fine. I bought a stock style Y-pipe with cats about a year ago and have been living with the code, but now I can't pass smog.
    the code is P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 1
    Any thoughts on how I can correct this. I am not sure if the cats I have are for a California car and the CA cats are super expensive.
    Last edited by 99 Firebird; 08-07-2008, 11:44 PM.

Re: P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency

get a new cat:twak:
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Any idea If an O2 Sim would correct this issue and whereI could get one. I checked summit, Jegs, ebay and google and no luck.
      Is a computer swap possible as it would be cheaper than a set of Ca cats. I no longer live in CA
      Last edited by 99 Firebird; 08-07-2008, 11:56 PM.

Comment

oooo, i thought you were going through CA inspection; if the cat's are bad, then don't just ignore the code, get rid of them or get new ones. The cats will clog up eventually and cause the car to run horrible. to get rid of the code, an O2 sensor would do fine. Computer swap won't do anything for the code as it will come back.
        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
        A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

first off our cars have one cat. converter. Next, did you put the rear o2 sensor back on when you swapped the ypipe and cat? Did they use a highflow cat like a catco or carsound cat? If they used one of those you will need your pcm tuned or an 02 sim from zzperformance
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I am running a stock style cat, except I bought in it in AZ. I ordered the o2 Sim from ZZ performance and hope this will do the trick. Thanks for the hook up

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
              Did they use a highflow cat like a catco or carsound cat? If they used one of those you will need your pcm tuned or an 02 sim from zzperformance
              Interesting. I have a highflow cat (Magnaflow) and am getting the P0420 code. Why do high flow cats trigger this code? I've had the converter for a few years and am just now getting the code. Emissions time is in 2 month. Sim time?

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X