Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96/97 to 98 PCM swap

I did it!

I'm doing a 3800 swap into another car and I started out with a 96 harness/computer. I soon got a 97 PCM but I really wanted a 98 setup so I can use my PowrTuner with it. (Without having to pay for 97 support).

Benefits of '98
    1. Don't need '97 credit so any PowrTuner can edit the PCM
    2. Superior knock sensor module (May not be a big deal for N/A but I will be putting an M90 on it so this is a big deal for me)
    3. More common/interchangeable
    4. One less oxygen sensor to worry about going bad

I searched on the board here for info but I didn't find anything past using the 96 harness and a 97 computer. I did printouts of all the PCM pinouts for a 96 Camaro and a 98 Camaro and got to work. Sitting down in my living room it took about 2 hours working at a comfortable pace. I connected my '98 GTP PCM, reflashed it with the '98 Camaro file and everything works!

A few notes
    -Auto will take longer due to more connections
    -If you want to maintain your EVAP you will need to switch to a '98 EVAP setup with a single connection. I'm not running any EVAP so now that I can use my tuner I can just erase the codes.

I know this is a common topic on the Grand Prix forums but I hadn't seen it anywhere here so I figured I'd share. Of course just buying a '98 harness might have been easier but I've been keeping my eye out in junkyards for the past two months and I have had zero luck. Plus this is free (if you have a PCM)

Re: 96/97 to 98 PCM swap

Nobody cares?

I'm pretty new over here but I can't go more than a day or two without hearing someone griping about the bastard child '97 PCM's over on ClubGP (and of course they didn't get the 3.8 in '96). Is it a non-issue in the F-body world?

Comment

No, we care, the board has just been very slow lately. Don't be offended if it takes a couple days to respond.. I think that's awesome though! Lot's of good Info! Welcome aboard!
      Y87 Package
      MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
      BONE APPROVED!
      VANBIBBER APPROVED!
      KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
      Team Black...TEAM EMO
      sigpic
      Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

so you didn't have to change out any pins or anything to make it work? the electrical connections were plug and play?

Interesting to hear it worked alright for ya. For 96s we usually just swap in 97 pcms and call it a day. but then there is absolutely nothing else you need to do, it is a 15 minute job for a 97 pcm.
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I had to open up the PCM connector and change all but 4 wires to different locations. All the engine sensor connectors are the same between the years (with the exception of the EVAP).

Another thing I forgot to note is the fuel level senders are different, I think in 96/97 the data just went to the gauges but 98+ they go to the PCM which then sends the data to the gauges. So you can probably use your existing sender going to the gauges, but you will probably trip a code because of the missed connection.

That part isn't an issue for me either because this motor isn't going back into an F-body; although with a little bit more time I'm sure you could make the PCM happy (or delete the code).

Comment

Good info.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X