O2 Simulator/Heat sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O2 Simulator/Heat sensor?

OK, after doing some research, I think I'm going to attempt to build an O2 simulator. I've googled it and have found numerous write-ups for different vehicles on how to do it. I used to have a sim, but after it came in contact with my 3" exhaust it burnt up and would no longer work. I pulled it apart (had to cut it into pieces) I found the "make up" of ZZP's O2 simulator: A resistor :p. It only had a resistor on the oxygen sensor side, so I'm assuming our PCM's don't monitor the heat sensor. Can anyone confirm this for sure? Like I said, I did buy a sim at one point, but I plan on having it tuned out of my computer eventually, so don't see the point in buying another. But, I'll be installing a cam this weekend and would like to have my SES light turned off to make sure no problems come from it. Also, I realize there's a chance I may fry my PCM by doing this, but what are the chances of that happening?
    Last edited by RadRacer; 12-16-2007, 08:13 PM.
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: O2 Simulator/Heat sensor?

I'm in about the same situation as you. I had an o2 sensor, it burnt up, i want to get rid of the ses light and i'm going to install a cam and want that code to be out of the way. I'm going to take apart my sim and see what's inside. good luck with this, tell us how it goes.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Do you have the one from ZZP? If so, you can't really pull it apart, I tried. It's all molded together I ended up taking the cutting disc and cutting it in half, and then into quarters to seperate each wire and see what they were attached to. In mine, only 2 wires had something going to them, and it appeared to just be a simple resistor linking the two together. Let me know if you come up with something different.
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Comment

K, went to my local Radio Shack today to pick up the resistors and such, and they have absolutely none there! My local RS is crap :(
        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
        A few things

Comment

I'm kinda surprised they didn't have any resistors, but i never expect radio shack to have much selection. We have a local electronics store around here that has all that kind of stuff. You might try some more local places. I haven't had a chance to take mine apart, and I don't remember what brand mine is.
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Do the manual sim mod! Get two spark plug defoulers and drill one out. Screw the o2 sensor into the drilled one, and screw the undrilled one on to that. Then screw the whole assembly into the o2 hole behind the cat.

They cost $5 for a 2 pack so if you have a 1/2" drill bit that's all it costs. :)

Comment

I've heard of that method, and was thinking of doing it, except for the fact that I don't have an O2 sensor back there anymore, and for the price of a new one (~45 or something), I could probably get the O2 sim overnighted to me. Kinda defeats the point then....
              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
              A few things

Comment

i still have my o2 but my s pipe doesn't have a spot for the o2 so i scratched that idea.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Well you could just pull the SES light, but if something worse starts happening you wouldn't be informed.

Program it out, or buy a new one.

Comment

Any updates on this? I still haven't had a chance to rip mine apart, but i'm getting it tuned next week probably anyway so i won't have to worry about it. I"ll try and see if i can get it apart for the sake of others though.
                    sigpic
                    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Well I tore mine apart.

I can't tell you the exact contents or schematic of the chip, but I can tell you that it was more than a resistor. I saw at least two resistors, a capacitor, and a 16-lead chip (only 3 of which were used).

I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to make one, but I don't know the exact layout, so I couldn't tell ya how.
                      sigpic
                      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I have a 02 simulator before I install it is there anyway I can keep mine from burning up like others have

Comment

Not sure why mine went out. It was far away from the heat of the pipes and considering the casing around it, even touching the pipe shouldn't have effected it until it melted entirely through it. It was an electronic failure, nothing you can do.
                          sigpic
                          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Can you get the chip id? It should be a few numbers and letters on the chip.

If you can get me that, I could pull the data sheet and figure it out.

Edit: It's probably some kind of timer chip that generates a constant waveform.

Comment

If I could've read the chip number, I would've figured out the wiring schematic and made a new one, but the only way I could get it apart (a hammer) didn't detach the chip from the plastic molding it was in, so I couldn't see the top of it to identify unfortunately.
                              sigpic
                              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X