Speedo accuracy..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo accuracy..

Well, as some of you may remember, my speedometer went out a while back. I replaced the VSS with no luck, and finally replaced the entire gauge cluster. It may seem that the speedometer is working now, but after a few days driving with it calibrated the way it is, i can't help but think it reads a good 5-10mph slower than i am actually going. I've been driving the truck and an SUV mostly, so the Camaro feels a bit quicker at the same speeds, but judging by traffic, it seems that the speedo is wrong. I'm hoping to find one of those "the speed limit is XX, you are going XX" signs, but have yet to pass one.

Since I never actually messed with any programming, and my car is tuned for the gears it has, i don't understand why the speedo is off like this. Judging from when it did work, my old speedo seemed to rest a few mm higher when i was running but at a stop than this cluster does. Is there a way to tune for this or another way to fix the problem?
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: Speedo accuracy..

well i don't have a cure but my speedo seems to read a little faster than I'm actually going, unless traffic really does go a steady 80-85 around here haha
    actually I believe you were insulting my court tactics about it just this tuesday haha just kiddin
    94 Camaro convertible -- mostly stock
    97 Firebird -- Project Car - kyb agx shocks, eibach springs, 3.42 torsen diff, aluminum driveshaft, slp cai, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat-back. hptuners. not done yet.
    98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Comment

hah, this one has nothing to do with my tire size. It's almost as if the needle was removed and replaced at the wrong angle. Someone have a 93-96 camaro they could get a pic of the gauge cluster with the car running for me?
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

..bump
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Have a friend pace you on the highway. Not 100% accurate, but will give you a good idea.

Comment

Is it a Z-28 cluster? If so, it's not a direct swap. If it's another V6, what year did it come from? Maybe if it came from a 3.4, and you have a 3.8, there'll be a difference. IDK, just shooting in the wind here, hoping I spear me a pig :D I'd go get a picture, but mine's all fubar'd right now (gears+tires), so I can't gurantee it's right. Once my new PCM comes in (hopefully tomorrow or Sat) I'll snap one for ya.
            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
            A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

It's from a Z. I did a lot of researching before I went ahead with it and supposedly the speedo should be exactly the same but the tach is off. I realize the tach is off, but being A4, i don't care. Anyway, i'll get a tune sooner or later and get that part fixed, but the speedo is supposed to be right. It just seems to rest at the wrong spot.
              sigpic
              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

didnt u kno that z28 speedo add 12 rwhp to the V6 camaros?

and -47 for firebirds

Comment

my v6 cluster went out and i found a cluster from a z for less than any v6 cluster i could find. And yes, i knew it added rwhp..but i thought it was 120, not 12?
                  sigpic
                  1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                  --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X