IAT Incorrect Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAT Incorrect Temperature

Using a Scan Tool I found the IAT sensor to be giving readings anywhere from 32F-55F, while the outside air temperature was around 80F. I bought a new IAT and to my surprise found no significant change in the readings. I also cleaned the sensor connections and still no fix.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? What was the outcome?
    If not, any recomendations?

Notes:
    93 3.4 A4

Re: IAT Incorrect Temperature

Update:

For those who may find this thread in future searches...

The problem was the wiring to the IAT sensor. Due to the high heat of nearby parts and the extreme 'thin-ness' of the wires, the insulation had lost effectiveness and was causing resistence in the line. To be clear, this is the wiring that leads from the IAT sensor and enters a wire harness under the throttle body.

Troubleshooting...
    Should you decide to spend the $11 for a new IAT only to find the temps are still way off, inspect the wires mentioned above for any obvious excessive wear. Next, carefully remove whatever is holding the wires together--in my case electrical tape. With the wires pulled apart and not touching check the temp readings again. You can also bend a paperclip and insert it into the plug side of the IAT connection; if the readings peg the scale (in my case -40F) you can be sure that the ECU is not to blame. You may want to try this prior to spending the $11.

Fix...
    IAT replacement: good job, cheap fix.
    Wires: wrap each wire with electrical tape and then wrap them together to keep them off of pulleys and belts. Invest in a cheap wire harness to further protect the wires from future issues.

Result:
    I can't yet comment on any MPG increase as this was just completed yesterday. Unfortunately, I also cleaned the Idle Speed Motor and it's housing, the Throttle Body opening and also recharged my K&N for the first time in years (so sad I know. but you must admit it's quite a PITA on our cars for a filter cleaning) so it's going to be difficult to know what difference the IAT reading correctly makes. As of now, idle is smoother, acceleration smoother with more power--especially in the 45-70mph range--which may not be the filter since it is high rpm, and I'm hoping to see the MPG increase too. Anyway, it's nice to see any improvement for your efforts even if it is limited to a smoother idle. Good luck!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X