Performance Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Chips

I have a '96 3.8L and was looking into the performance chips recently. The only real mod i have on my car is a cold air intake by K&N, i plan on getting a flowmaster exhaust system within the next year or so. I was wondering if something like this was worth the money, and if i would have to change anything else out of my stock 96 Y87 before it'd be safe to use it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-96...spagenameZWDVW

thanks
    Troy
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: Performance Chips

Wow... I am not sure... I couldn't find anything for my 97... except a custom 400 dollar one.. probably v8's only

Comment

the 3.8l motor doesnt use chips in the computer, youd have to get it tuned with hp tuners to flash the computer. the "module" your looking at would just be a waste of money and not really bring a noticable perfomance gain. (my two cents)

Comment

only option for a 96 is to grab a 97 pcm and have it tuned by TSP or go to pcm4less and they can tune a 97 pcm and you could do it that way. pcm4less charges a core charge so you would have to send your PCM back. If you want to tune it yourself I believe DHP tuner still tunes 96 pcms, but hp tuners only does 97 pcm's so you would need a 97 pcm for that.

moving to tuning where this has been covered a bunch already.
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Your choices are

Jet

HP tuners

DHP Powrtuner

PCM for less

My recomendation is do the research and learn to program your own. it will be the most rewarding. So go with HP tuners or DHP, both are powerful tools. visit each website to decide what you would like. Take everything you read on the forums about each with a grain of salt. With all the arguments made for one or the other there have been some untrue statements made both ways between users.

Comment

The main reason i wanted to try out one of those chips, is because i thought i could get a little more hp from something that doesn't cost several hundred dollars, and i guess it's not my best bet then. And, all those chips say they are for 97-02 camaros, and mine is a 96, would it still work on my car anyway? Would those cheapo resistors work in my car too? i mean, it's not the most advanced system, but any gain for a few cents would be worth it, but if the chips wouldn't work in my car, would the resistors?
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I wouldn't bother with those. and no the other year cars wont work with yours. our cars do not have replacable chips they need to be reflashed.

want something cheap and easy to start with get a Aluminum driveshaft.

All advice that I offer is in direct relation to my knowledge as to how it applies to my one car. Comments posted by me may or may not be directly applicable to you.

Comment

you can get a mail order tune. People with 96 cars replace their current PCM with a 97 PCM and they are all set. Search and you will see tons of info on this.
                http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X