stock timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock timing?

what exactly should i be seeing for the stock timing at idle. im running platinum spark plugs, and a maft that as far as i know is set at the stock settigs. i ran an autotap scan at idle i was seeing a max of 33* at idle and a low of about 27*. how far off is this? i dont have the enhanced parameters, but im looking into buying them to see if im getting any knock.

[ October 02, 2005, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Loochy88 ]

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

25* - 27* would be about right for idle..33* seems a few too high..but it depends exactly at what rpm your car is idling if it goes up and down at all..i wouldnt imagine you'd be getting any knock at idle
    <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

Mine sits somewhere around 5°, but it's all over the place....as high as 13° and as low as -2°. Having a hard time with the lope from the cam, I guess.
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

i played with some stuff, now it's idling right around 25-28. so i guess thats about right based on what dangerous said.

i noticed that on autotap it always reads out as "-25" instead of "25"

why is this.

i also noticed that as i give it more gas (i did a scan driving around tonight) the timing will go down... it would get as low as "-22" or "-18" when i put it into the throttle, but then when i let up it would shoot to around "-40" and then settle around "-28" ish while i coasted. This seems counter intuitive to me. Shouldnt there be more advance when the engine is running faster, or am i missing something.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
        Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

When you let off the gas, you'll get tons of advance for a short period of time, then it'll settle back to normal. You have to consider the amount of airflow in addition to RPM.

Here's the stock timing table from my car:
          http://www.leadingedgesim.com/mkapro...tockTiming.jpg
          That's just the standard high octane table, there's also 2 other ones that could be used.

Mine idles at around 180-190 Mg/cyl. According to the table, it should be 15° advance. +/- 8° can be added to that for corrections in idle, though.

Originally posted by Loochy88:
          i noticed that on autotap it always reads out as "-25" instead of "25"

why is this.
          Autotap is showing timing relative to TDC. Negative numbers being BTDC. Other ways of viewing it assume BTDC, so negative would be ATDC.

[ October 03, 2005, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: 98Camaro3.8 ]
          Matt
          1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
          Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
            New Owner!
            by LETZRIDE
            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
            5 days ago
          • ssms5411
            Little work today
            by ssms5411
            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
            3 weeks ago
          • LETZRIDE
            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X