Programmer for 98' 3.8L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programmer for 98' 3.8L

I'm wanting to buy a programmer for my car this month and I was wanting to know which kind to get that is good quality, priced decent, and would work for my Camaro. I don't know if some programmers are only compatible with certain makes or if they are iniversal. $400 is my goal spending limit, but I'll put aside a little more if I have to. I would greatly appreciate the help.

Re: Programmer for 98' 3.8L

HPTuners, there isn't any other substitute. You'll need a laptop and it is a good idea to have a wideband to make the best use of it.

Do you have any mods to the car?

Comment

hp tuners is the best, if you know what your doing. it is a full custom tuning program much like a stand alone system (around $600). if your not looking to go that route hypertech makes a tuner for our cars and im running that currently (around $300)and pcmforless.com will put a "street" tune for even cheaper all you have to do is send your old pcm back to them (around $150 or so). pcm for less can tune more torwards the different mods that you have already done. if i knew about pcm for less when i bought my hypertech i would have chosen pcm for less.
      Last edited by madforce10; 09-07-2012, 11:37 PM.

Comment

this might be a dumb question, but i'f you send a company your pcm, i assume you can't drive the car, right?

Comment

Originally posted by pathology knight View Post
          this might be a dumb question, but i'f you send a company your pcm, i assume you can't drive the car, right?
          Unless you have another PCM no you can't.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I've got an aftermarket air intake I made for it, then the whole exhaust is redone, and if its anything I got some NGK spark plugs and MSD wire about to be put on. I was looking around the other night and found the Jet stage 2 pcm for around $250, I didn't know if that was considered a programmer or not, I'll check into what y'all are suggesting though. I've heard the Diablo Sport and Bully dog tuners are good too, I just haven't found anything about if they're compatible with my car or not.

Comment

You won't find anything better than HPtuners.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Other than going with a BigStuff3 setup but that's nowhere near plug and play lol!

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  You won't find anything better than HPtuners.
                  Hp tuners + Tiny Tuner = better lol.

I just wish someone would figure out a way of getting a coil per cylinder and still allowing us to use hp tuners :(....well and a little more support from Hp tuners for our pcms would be nice.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                  1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by pathology knight View Post
                    core charge, you pay a little more at first but once you send them your pcm they refund the money.

Comment

any idea what that costs?

Comment

$225 plus shipping I believe? $75 refund once they get your old PCM.

Comment

Quick question, if I had a '96 engine equipped with a intake manifold and cam from a '98 engine would that also mean that my pcm should be from a '98 aswell? I know that they changed the intake a little bit in '98 so im assuming the pcms are different.
                          Any shared wisdom is appreciated.

Comment

intake is the same 95-98, and you need a 97 pcm if you have a 96.

Comment

Originally posted by fbodyrs96 View Post
                              intake is the same 95-98, and you need a 97 pcm if you have a 96.
                              hmm well then how come they make a ram air for the '98 car but not the earlier years?
                              Thanks again

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                4 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X