Hard starting issues..3.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard starting issues..3.8

Hello Board, In the last 2 days my 97 3.8 5 speed Camaro is getting harder to start. It use to start at the hit of the key then yesterday it took about 6 or 7 rpm's before starting then tonight it took almost 20 rpm's before starting. I pulled the codes and got P 1441-EVAP control system flow during non purge. HUH? and I got P0121-TPS switch circuit range performance problem, again HUH? Can anyone help me understand what these mean in laymans terms? What do I need to do to fix or repair the problem. If it keeps going this way I am afraid it won't start soon. By the way after it starts it runs great. Thanks again in advance,..............TIM

Re: Hard starting issues..3.8

My bet guess would be your loosing fuel pressure. Don't know what u men by it tok or 6 or 7 rpms. The motor rotated 6 times before starting? Get a fuel pressure gauge and see if it builds and holds pressure when u turn the key to on

Comment

Sounds like your TPS may be going bad.
      sigpic

Comment

I would go by the code you got an do the TPS sensor like already said.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

will a tps cause a no start? i can start mine with my foot to the floor. i know on some s10's it will disable starting. but didn't think that was the case with our cars.

Comment

If you got a code I would definately start with that. BUT>>> I have a funny feeling that this maybe related to your Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Comment

Thanks for all the output and info. I really appreciate it. Whats relly weird is today after I put $20.00 of gas in it, it started to run and start like it use to. I am thinking that maybe I had some Bad gas. Will find out soon as I go through about a tank a week. Thanks again,..................TIM

Comment

Originally posted by TCA217 View Post
                Thanks for all the output and info. I really appreciate it. Whats relly weird is today after I put $20.00 of gas in it, it started to run and start like it use to. I am thinking that maybe I had some Bad gas. Will find out soon as I go through about a tank a week. Thanks again,..................TIM
                Huh?

Well drop some Lucas Gas Treatment in it. You might have gotten a bad or dirty gas. Or if you haven't used your car for like a month or 2.

Sometimes when those gas trucks come around and they refill those gas stations they then to stir up the accumulated dirt from the bottom and it can remain suspended for some time.
                Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 02-05-2012, 02:24 AM.

Comment

If you see the fuel truck filling the tanks keep driving and come back later. It's not so much the dirt that they are stirring up as it is the condensation(water) that is suspended as they are filling the tanks and you end up with a heaping helping of water.
                  78 Lesabre Turbo Coupe w/85 GN SFI turbo induction, 200-4R OD, 3.73 posi(pictured in Sep. 99 Hot Rod Power Tour Article 87 Shelby Charger (under construction)reardrive conversion, SC3800, T-5, Independent rear. Estimated weight 2400 lbs.

Comment

Hello Board,
                    I posted a question here about 2 months ago about my 97 Camaro and the hard starting issues it was having. A bit of an update and another question or two.
                    Since my last post, I went with the popular opinion here and followed the codes. Went to the local "pull your part" junk yard and got 2 TPS's and 2 MAF sensors. Went home, installed them, cleaned out the throttle body and butterfly, cleaned the air filter and even changed out the fuel filter, (which was semi plugged, hard to blow through) and crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. .... Exactly the same, no better or no worse. I cleared the codes before I did these changes and have been driving it everyday for the better part of 1 month and it has no codes but is still acting the same. What I have noticed is that sometimes when it is at operating temp, and I shut it off for less that 5 or 10 minutes to get gas or food or something, it will start perfectly. Other times it will take a couple of tries to get it to start. Long story short, could the fuel pump be getting worn out or weak? I don't have a fuel pressure tester but might have to get one. The car has 123,000 miles on it. Thanks for all the help in advance, this board kicks butt !! Tim

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X