Check engine light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check engine light

I put a high flow cat on the other day, and now my service engine light is on. What do I need to do to get it off?

Re: Check engine light

I know this is illegal to put on a street car, but it sounds like it would work

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...e1e9f25ce4773e

Comment

People use that or just tune them out with Hptuners. Not uncommon.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I've got a sim... works magic.

Comment

Cool thanks, I'll get the sim, much cheaper solution. I'm assuming you still pass inspection with the sim? Oh, and is there any effect on the car if I don't get the sim in the next couple weeks?

Comment

Not sure about inspections... but the only effect you're going to notice is gas mileage. And it will run lean/rich. And you can find a sim cheaper than that, jus'sayin.

Comment

I may be wrong on this, but as I understand it, our cars only use the downstream "after the cat" O2 to determine if the CAT is working or not, lean/rich is solely controlled based on the O2 sensors before the CAT.

As far as inspection goes it varies based on where you live, if they put a sniffer on your car it may not pass at all with the high-flow, just depending on how much they are checking for. if they do a visual inspection and notice the sim they may fail you, if they just check for DTC's you should be fine.

Comment

I think I'm just going to go ahead and get a dyno tune instead. I have a few things done on the car and I would rather make sure I pass inspection and get everything done right.

Comment

Tunning is your best bet.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by 02firebird View Post
                    I put a high flow cat on the other day, and now my service engine light is on. What do I need to do to get it off?
                    How do you know the code requesting the MIL was caused by the change to a high-flow cat?

Comment

I had my codes scanned and got this code, P0420. Which is the oxygen sensor that monitors the cat saying that it is defective or bad.

Comment

420 is the post-cat O2 sensor... it's probably the single most common OBD code. The sensor is bad, not your cat most likely. I mean it could be your cat, but the sensor is a ton cheaper and easier to replace.

Comment

Good point, I would think that a properly working hi-flow cat should still enable the car to pass an emission check, and also not set off the post-cat sensor. If it cannot do that, they shouldn't be selling it.
                          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I talked to the shop that put it on, and they agreed to buy and replace the O2 sensor for free. So hopefully that's the problem.

Comment

^do you have a hi flow cat? Have them move the 02 bung further down the exhaust towards the axle

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X