Tuning checklist and suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning checklist and suggestions

Ok so I am kind of going over everything to do when I get to tuning my car. Try to make a general checklist of order to do things and I'm looking for suggestions and tips. I've done a lot of reading and have started understanding things a lot better.

1. gear/speedo changes
    2. trans/torque management (torque converter tables?)
    3. remove cot
    4. maf calibration
    5. AE (dont know much about this)
    6. PE
    7. Timing

This is my general understanding of what to do. What am I missing? I'm not sure on whether or not to modify the TCC tables or not, or what exactly they do. Also there seems to be dispute over whether or not VE tables effect anything from what I've read. Most say they don't at all, others say it does. I need to know what exactly to do with the AE tables too.

auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
    15.11@91.14
    Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Re: Tuning checklist and suggestions

Looks good, whats AE again , I don't think you mess with it. Same for maf if your not boosted.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

acceleration enrichment, haven't really read much about it. But how do you tune the fuel trims and such without using VE or MAF?
      auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
      15.11@91.14
      Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Don't mess with your acceleration enrichment tables until you have everything else sorted out. I'm assuming you don't have a wideband, so you have to log fuel trims and then adjust your VE tables from those logs. I don't know very much about V6 tuning but I'm sure others can chime in (pointing at Mike aka LETZRIDE).

The best thing you can do is just read and read and read everything you can find. If you haven't checked out the HPT forum, do that.

Comment

yea I've been reading a lot. I'm mainly gonna be tuning on ls based engine, but I need to get mine down first. I wont mess with AE table. Everything I've read says to use speed density and the VE tables for trims (i have no wideband) so I might give it a try

New Time:
          15.11@91.14
          Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Yep, you gotta force open loop and watch your fuel trims. Then adjust your VE tables. There're a few narrowband tuning guides out there. You can't (shouldn't, rather) tune the MAF at WOT on narrowband sensors, but that's the least of your worries right now. I'm actually running a speed density tune at the moment because (I believe) my MAF isn't functioning properly.

And honestly, it is definitely worth it to drop the cash on a wideband. I tried the narrowband tuning methods for six months before I got a wideband. After I got the wideband, I had my tune down in about a week. Just something to thing about :)

Comment

yea I've found the narrowband tuning guides. but I will get a wideband after awhile when I get the extra money

New Time:
              15.11@91.14
              Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

v6 and ls are way different. since you dont have a wideband you'll use ltft and stft to tune your maf and only in the crusing ranges. you only have fuel trims in close loop. if you force open loop you have to enable PE at 0% throttle position and use a wideband to log afr error. our cars (as far as most people say) don't use thee ve table unless the maf fails.

acceleration enrichment. you need it. it adds fuel when theres a sudden change in throttle or map. dont know anything about tuning it and haven't seen anybody tune it on our cars.

timing... fix what knock retard you have and then start adding timing until you get it again then back it off.
                Last edited by thebeewantsboost; 11-15-2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

awesome thanks for the info !

New Time:
                  15.11@91.14
                  Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

I wouldn't mess with AE.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

yea I wont screw with it

New Time:
                      15.11@91.14
                      Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Oh yeah, my b - you don't wanna force open loop. Although the VE tables may not be used unless the MAF fails, it's always good to have a good VE table because it makes throttle response smoother.

When looking at timing, make sure when you have the knock retard table up, you're looking at minimum values and not average values. Any knock is bad.

Comment

awesome thanks. good info here. so is it safe to increase timing in the cruise ranges too?

New Time:
                          15.11@91.14
                          Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by crazytrain65 View Post
                            awesome thanks. good info here. so is it safe to increase timing in the cruise ranges too?
                            As long as there's no knock.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

ok cool! is there tips for getting better mileage? I imagine turning off cot and increasing timing would be the main things

New Time:
                              15.11@91.14
                              Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X