Lean O2 Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lean O2 Mystery

Ok, I'm running out of options as to what is making the car throw an SES light up. '96 Firebird, 3800 series II, modified, no cat, no EGR, dyno tuned. I have been chasing this rabit for what seems like an eternity this season. Bank 2 Sensor 1 is throwing both a P0151 and P0154 code (Lean and low voltage).

Anyway, checked the motor for leaks with a hose to isolate any noises better. Found that at Bank 1, the EGR blockoff plate had been leaking, so I welded that closed, thus, no leak there. Headers aren't loose or leaking (at the heads or y-pipe, no vacuum leaks (well, that I could find) and yet the problem is still there. It also has a subtle surge that occurs when I take it out of gear. The only thing I can guess (which I really hate to do at this point) is that the O2 sensor may be bad (not the stock GM unit), judging from the A/F ratio being good, but the PCM sensing a lean condition, making it richen the mix up some to compensate, but only at the lean bank. Is there anything that I may have missed? I'd hate to go through the dealer, put in another sensor and find out that the problem is still there.

Re: Lean O2 Mystery

Did you tune out the EGR?
    1995 Pontiac Firebird
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th View Post
      Did you tune out the EGR?
      Yes, as well as the post CAT sensor.

Comment

Could be the O2 sensor, but what do you have in place for one if it's not the stock GM unit?
        1995 Pontiac Firebird
        2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

I believe it's a Standard Products version (supplier is Advance Auto for this particular place). Had some trouble with HO2s a while back and at the time, the place that had a decent scan tool warranteed them. Of course, after changing out roughly 6 of them since, this could be pointing to the problem. :twak: me for going with warranty stuff. Could just be a second rate sensor, and after changing over and over, what good is a warranty anyway? Other than pointing me in all sorts of directions needlessly. Yeah, I'll put stock back in and see what happens with it.
          Last edited by steddy; 07-18-2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

You said that the AFR was good but the sensor is reading way lean.

How did you determine the air-fuel on that bank is ok?

Comment

Snap-On diagnostic computer. Showed all other parameters were working fine, but the bank 2 sensor was reading a low reference voltage (almost no movement within the parameters that bank 1 was in, small changes/spikes, compared to the sweeping changes of bank 1). Also went old school and used a hose to listen to various areas of that side of the engine, from the exhaust to injectors and intake and found no vacuum leaks or unusual noises, O-rings weren't leaking at the injectors and the headers are torqued well. Also tight at the Y-pipe connection and all vacuum hoses are connected and solid.

Comment

I'd replace the sensor.

IMO, the best sensors are made by Denso, next best are OE GM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X