NO Start! HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO Start! HELP!!!

I recently bought a 98 V6 Camaro 5pd. Motor was locked up. So I had a 97 3.8 that was running fine. It has been under the bench for 2 years. As you know the evap system is different from 97 to 98, so I swapped the 98 stuff onto the 97 motor and in it went with the 98 engine harness. Initially I had spark, but no injector pulse. I have swapped out the cam and crank sensor in desperation (long story). Then I had injector pulse but no spark. I unplugged the PCM and called it dirty names. plugged it back in and I now have spark, injector pulse but the damn thing wont start. I do have fuel pressure, and it getting into the motor because I can smell it in the tail pipes.
    Does anyone have a PCM I can borrow to verify that this is the problem. Or sell me yours for a reasonable price and I will take a gamble. At this point I am out of ideas. The motor just spins and makes no effort to start.

Call me at 469-525-1051 if you have any thoughts/ideas/advise please.
    Chris

Re: NO Start! HELP!!!

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the test port on the fuel rail. You may not have enough fuel. Should be about 50 psig with the key on.
    sigpic

Comment

I have 50 psi. I checked.

Comment

Try swapping ICM's.
        sigpic

Comment

so you have fire, fuel...all you need is compression. check it??
          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Let me make sure I correctly understand this: you have a 1998 engine harness (including the PCM) on a 1997 engine, and you car is a 1997. If what I'm thinking is correct, it's most likely the security VATS (Vehicle AntiTheft System) in the 98 PCM that is the culprit. Your 97 camaro and BCM (Body Control Module) isn't sending the correct signal to the PCM for it to fire up and run. So the PCM thinks someone is trying to jack the car and isn't letting it run. I had the same issue when I swapped a 98 LS1 into my 97 Camaro: it would fire up but not stay running for more than a second or so.
            If you have the schematics for the PINs on the PCMs, you could swap them out, but that would take a lot of time. If you have HP Tuners should be able to reconfigure the VIN in the 98 PCM with the VIN from your 97 so that you can start your car (or you can delete the VATS entirely).

This link show you how to make your own up, if you need to http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/70lt1/vats.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by runtwrestlin View Post
              Let me make sure I correctly understand this: you have a 1998 engine harness (including the PCM) on a 1997 engine, and you car is a 1997. If what I'm thinking is correct, it's most likely the security VATS (Vehicle AntiTheft System) in the 98 PCM that is the culprit. Your 97 camaro and BCM (Body Control Module) isn't sending the correct signal to the PCM for it to fire up and run. So the PCM thinks someone is trying to jack the car and isn't letting it run. I had the same issue when I swapped a 98 LS1 into my 97 Camaro: it would fire up but not stay running for more than a second or so.
              If you have the schematics for the PINs on the PCMs, you could swap them out, but that would take a lot of time. If you have HP Tuners should be able to reconfigure the VIN in the 98 PCM with the VIN from your 97 so that you can start your car (or you can delete the VATS entirely).

This link show you how to make your own up, if you need to http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/70lt1/vats.shtml

First line he typed.

I recently bought a 98 V6 Camaro 5pd.
              sigpic

Comment

the year of the engine doesnt matter, as long as the intake/pcm/wiring are all from the car. for instance, i have a 2008 buick lucern series 3 in my 2000 firebird. of course i had to swap everything, but it all bolted up.
                Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I agree. I meant having a PCM that is different from the BCM/car that is being used. If the engine is the only thing different, then my previous post is utterly worthless, lol!

Comment

update/clarification:
                    the car is a 98. I am running the 98 throttle body, PCm and harness on the 97 motor. After a lot of work I discovered 5 of the 6 injectors were failed/clogged from sitting in the garage for the last couple years. I have replaced all the injectors with the ones from the 98 motor and I have no injector pulse again. So basically I have an intermittent injector pulse problem. I am getting a high end scanner from a mechanic friend tomorrow to see if I have a crank signal. It should, the #$%^ thing is new for god sake but at this point I cant rule anything out since in 3 weeks i havent made any headway but have given up almost all the skin on my knuckels.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                      Try swapping ICM's.
                      This.
                      sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X