Do I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I?

On a 94 v-6 firebird, do I have to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the check engine light (computer)?

Problem: Light comes on randomly. I had it checked and was told the EGR valve was bad. I replaced it last night (inspection due today). Driving to work this morning, light came on again. Usually only does it on decel. I have changed O2's, IAC,....well the list goes on. At $39.75, I dont' want to have to pay for another inspection fee. Thanks.

Oh yea, I dont' know exactly what codes are thrown. I just want to know if the battery needs to be disco'd to reset.

Re: Do I?

Yes, but the EGR code on that motor usually means the passage from the intake plenum to the EGR valve is clogged.
    sigpic

Comment

I have cleaned it out before, not to long ago. Wasn't plugged up. We will find out soon if disco'n the battery helped with the code.

Comment

So what happened?????

Comment

First Nox standard is 821 mesaured at 1262 on the 25 mph test

Disco'd the battery and reset the comp. Light does not come on anymore. Went back for a retest. Got worse.

Nox went to 1860 @ 25 and 907 standard at 15 measured at 2493. And the CO% standard of .67 @ 15 mph measured @ .71.

Wonder know if the cat isn't bad. I had it replaced a few years ago. Got some bad gas at the beginning of the summer and the cat was glowing red in about 5 miles.

Comment

Ended up being the EGR passage in the intake was plugged shut. Took me 2 hours to get it cleaned out.

Comment

Glad you got it figured out. What about the cat? Did you replace it? I think that by the time the cat is glowing red, the internals are melted down.
              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Not this year. Probably have to do it before I get it inspected next year. Runs great. Gets 26 on the highway. Just rolled 286,000 miles.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X