Help! Car overheating!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Car overheating!!

Hey everyone, obviously i'm new here, however i've been reading some of the topics on the board here and there for a couple months. My car is a 2000 3.8 firebird, with an Ebay cold air intake from Chrome Intakes, and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system. There is no ses light, and it seems that there is just a problem with the PCM responding to the mods. After driving for about 15-20 mins in a 55mph+ zone, the check gauges light comes on, resulting from my water temp sensor redlining past 260 degrees F. I have pulled over several times to turn the car off and lift the hood to see if there is any noticable problem, but it appears and feels as normal as it ever does. There is no steam or burning smell (as I would assume there would be if the engine was running that hot), and the engine seems to be normal temperature. The main issue is when I continue to drive (which is pretty stupid I know), and the engine shuts down. This has happend to me twice, but I just let it sit for about 2-5 minutes and it starts up and runs perfectly again. When I say it shuts off (a term which I am using loosely as I don't know whether it is stalling or is having another problem), I mean that there is no throttle response, and the exhaust struggles and begins to fade. It is a 4 spd Auto. If you have any idea what's wrong, help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Help! Car overheating!!

um have you checked the coolant level?(didnt mention if you did)

Comment

Ya my bad the level was good i should have mentioned that, It really seems like it is a problem with the computer or somthing....

Comment

does the heater work ? IF it blows air and not hot air check your thermo stat , water pump , radiator

Comment

Ya, i'm sort of still a newb when it comes to mechanics lol. I've heard that I should check the heater before but I don't know where the heater is lol, and how do you get it to blow air? Also, what should I be checking the radiator for (how will i know there is a problem)? I can figure out where the water pump is and i Know to check for leaks, unless there is something else I should look for.
          All of these are linked to overheating of the car but the thing is I really don't think that it' overheating. If I get the PCM remapped could that possibly fix the issue? I bought Haynes book for my car and some of those things were listed:
          -Cooling Fans and Circuit
          -Water Pump
          -Coolant Level
          -Temperature Gauge

I know you might say: "If u hav teh book y r u axing us" but It really seems that there is just a problem with computer reading the temperature of the car, something is causing it to think that the car is overheating, but when the fans come on after it redlines the needle shoots back down to 210 (if I allow it to let up on the gas). Sorry for the drawn out reply but I would rather not run to the dealership and have them charge a few hundred dollars just because I have a faulty thermostat.

Comment

Your not too far from me, I'm working in West Chester right now and I live over the west side (Delhi/Bridgetown).

I believe the heater core is located behind the dash on the passanger side. If the heatercore is faulty after running the car I believe you will feel dampness on the passanger side carpet.

If there are no visible external leaks underneath the car, then chances are you will want to start with replacing the thermostat.

These cars suck in air from the bottom which makes them vulnerable to overheat at idle, especially if you have a bad thermostat. Once you get moving or step on the gas the temperature will back down to normal because the coolant is circulating more intensely throughout the system. I am by far not a mechanic but I have dealt with this problem a few times.
            Last edited by Jtels2593; 09-06-2010, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I have said this before , unless you have a scanner showing you the exact temp , the needle is off. The stock settings are 220 low fan and 230 high fan , if A/C is on its low fan that is on I would make sure the high fans come on if not it will over heat. You do have your lower air dam on and no ground effects correct? Also use a 180 thermo or 160 thermo will help alittle. The biggest help is a manual fan switch and use about 2 bottles of RP ICE and the est distilled water. I'm in AZ and it stays at 202 crusing and when getting on it it goes to 212 and thats it. This is in 115 degree weather and using a RK Sport lower air dam, with a intercooler mounted in front. A manual fanswitch is around $70 so you can turn it on high when you start the car so it keeps it cooler. Or buy Hptuners and tune it, I found out running 28 degrees timing in summer heats it up alot quicker to about 220-225 degrees. So I run 24-25 degrees now in summer and it fine now, winter it will go back to 28 degrees. Also stay away from dexacool, it sucks.LOL Go green or distilled water and RP ICE.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

By the way, Hayne's manuals are nice to have (I have one), but they don't exactly cover how to do everything. I'm sure most of us here have service or repair manuals for our cars, but sometimes it is easier to get help from people than a book. Lol..

Comment

Haynes manual is good for fluid specs and TQ specs and some diagrams, I still use it from time to time.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I appreciate the input. I'm not running a ground effects kit and overheating at idle isn't as much of an issue as my intake runs into the fenderwell. I refer to this a hell of a lot more than I do Haynes lol, I thought it was just a good thing to have. Carpet is not damp, no leaks underneath the car. It just really dosent seem like the engine is actually overheating, and the things listed don't give an explanation for the car shutting off.

Comment

In the PCM the car will shut off at 235 degrees to protect the engine from blowing up and putting a rod through the block. Also the heater core can be plugged and not leak into the car. I would try a new T-Stat one that stays open when it fails, and run RP ICE and distilled water, the RP ICE will lubercate the water pump and any other accceriores. Check the water pump to make sure its not weeping , if it is then its bad. Also maybe a back flushed to determine if its clogged. Check the radiator & condensor to make sure theirs not leaves or plastic bags up inder there, also use compressed air and air out the fins and the power wash both of them, dirt can get in there and prevent the incoming air coming through. Also double check your fans to make sure their coming on esp. High fans. Good luck

Comment

I have a new radiator, thermostat, hoses and it was fine but now it is overheating in less than 3 miles. I have a 3.8 Camaro 2000, I hear a whining noise I never heard before but no water is dripping. Any ideas????

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarbor View Post
                          I have a new radiator, thermostat, hoses and it was fine but now it is overheating in less than 3 miles. I have a 3.8 Camaro 2000, I hear a whining noise I never heard before but no water is dripping. Any ideas????
                          Piggybacking threads ayy? My vote is water pump.

Comment

Turns out both of you were wrong.
                            The intake gasket blew and it took my mechanic 6 hours to take it off
                            and replace it. Thank God he only charged me $150 for the labor. I bought a rebuilt water pump to bring to him but since it was only $25 I am going to keep it in the box in the trunk. The noise was my power steering...its leaking fluid and the hose needs to be replaced...for now I am just going to add fluid.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X