Rusty EGR Valve Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty EGR Valve Bolts

Just a quick question concerning rusty bolts on the EGR valve. I can see that both bolts, as well as the base of the EGR valve, is very rusted. Is this common because of the heat at this location? The base of the EGR valve is cracked. I have a new EGR valve, but I am very concerned that the bolts with snap off leading to much more work.. I am fretting for nothing?

Rick

Re: Rusty EGR Valve Bolts

my bolts came out pretty easy, but with all exhaust related parts, rust is a huge deal.

i would recommend starting the car and letting it get to operating temp for a while to heat the egr up, and make it easier to get th bolts out, just loosen the bolts while it is warm and wait till it cools off so you can touch it.

also, did you get a new gasket for the EGR? the old ones are a metal type and like to split, so i wouldnt re-use it

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll pick up a gasket in the morning. Should I hit it a few times with some penetrating oil prior to heating up the engine?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickS View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I'll pick up a gasket in the morning. Should I hit it a few times with some penetrating oil prior to heating up the engine?

Rick
        sure, it wont hurt anything

Comment

The oil did not help. I sprayed it with some PB a couple times with about an hour between sprays (to let it penetrate). I ran the engine for 10 minutes to let it get hot, put the socket on the front nut and it didn't budge, it sheared right off. I have not attempted to remove the other because, even though it leaks, it is still drivable.

My new question is.. What do I need to do to remove the entire thing that the EGR valve mounts to so that I can take it to a machine shop?

Rick

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X