Resetting the computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resetting the computer?

I hope I put this in the right place. I put a set of Pacesetter headers on my car, a high flow Magnaflow cat, and a dual Magnaflow exhaust. At the same time, I changed out all three O2 sensors. I ran it down the street for emissions testing and it failed. They test the computer (instead of the exhaust fumes) and the lady at the testing station told me the computer hadn't been run long enough to reset. She said I need to put at least 100 miles on it before I bring it back or it'll continue to fail. Is this the case? Is there any way to trick the computer into resetting or do I just need to get out and actually put 100 miles on it?
    2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Re: Resetting the computer?

You can disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes and reconnect it. That's what I did for my emissions test and ended up passing.

Comment

is your engine light on? If so just take it to a parts store and have them scan it and clear them...
      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

No lights on. It runs better than new. They just said the computer needs to reset to read the new sensors and the exhaust changes. She estimated 100 miles but I want to get tags ASAP and get this stupid temporary sticker out of the window. People will think I drive a beater that won't pass emissions. :)

I'll pull the battery tomorrow and 10 minutes and see if it'll pass. It costs me $9 each time I fail.

Comment

I hate to bring up an old thread but I never got this working. Pulling the battery didn't work. Any other ideas on how to reset the computer without driving 100 miles? At this point I just want it to pass emissions so I can sell it.

Comment

You have to complete the driving cycles. Every time you clear it by pulling the battery resets it, and you have to drive it over. Just drive it. I could give you all the technical info on how this works, but you aren't going to get around it. Your area is testing for system readiness monitors.
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

is right...you have to drive the car far enough that most of the I/M test readiness flags reset. Also, it's not a 100 mile distance--though some "techs" might think it is. It's a combination of a certain distance and certain types of driving which resets all the flags. It is true that many of them may be reset in a 100 mile distance, depending on what kind of driving is in that 100 miles.

The Factory Service Manual lists the precise drive cycle to reset all the readiness flags in the shortest distance. Problem is, it's quite difficult to duplicate the full cycle on the street.

Best to do is read the FSM, and try and duplicate enough of them to pass the I/M test.

Comment

The system is designed so you can't beat it by disconnecting the battery to reset the computer. Every time you do you're screwing yourself.

Comment

Buy a $30 OBDII code scanner and it will flah 3 times and remove all the codes, Habor Freight or ebay sells them.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                    Buy a $30 OBDII code scanner and it will flah 3 times and remove all the codes, Habor Freight or ebay sells them.
                    He isn't setting a code. He is failing to complete the necessary driving cycles to set the readiness monitors.
                    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Which part of it caused this? Putting in the new exhaust and driving it down to the muffler shop to be welded up, putting in all new o2 sensors, or starting it up without o2 sensors? Looks like I'll have to get a temp tag and just drive it. Thanks for the info, gang.

Comment

Running it without the O2's would set a code.

Disconnecting the battery would set a "not-ready". Maybe the new O2's would set a "not-ready" but I'm not sure about that. I don't think the computer wouldn't know you changed them.

Comment

Exactly what Blackbird said. Clearing the readiness monitors via battery, or OBDII scanner is the only way to do it, the only way to turn the flags off is by driving.

Comment

If its a readiness problem, go drive the damn thing for like 50 miles or w.e. the amount of time or key cycles is to get it ready and be done with it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X