Considerations when installing new exhaust - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considerations when installing new exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considerations when installing new exhaust

A few bits of information arose when I installed my headers, high flow cat, and Magnaflow exhaust (still in the process, actually) and I wanted to pass them along.

1. O2 sensors - Some people have had issues with the original (or OEM replacement) O2 sensors reaching the connectors when they install Pacesetter headers. I used NTK replacements from SummitRacing and the fit was perfect. It's usually a good time to do this as part of regular maintenance anyway. Make sure you use anti-sieze on them! The originals were fused into the manifolds. The front two are different from the rear. All 3 are 4-wire in my 2000 V6, though. (That makes a difference when you order replacements.)

2. Once you remove the muffler and piping in the rear of the car, this is a good time to drain and fill the differential. You'll be able to get direct access to it and since you'll have to shave off the gasket it's better to do it now. I used Royal Purple to refill mine.

3. With the muffler out of the way and the gas tank exposed this would also be a great time to install that Walbro fuel pump. When I did mine (mostly because I had to pull the tank to replace the fuel sending unit) the biggest pain was working around the muffler and piping. You don't have to detach the axle to do this upgrade.

4. Check your rear sway bar! The brackets that attached mine to the car were broken on both sides and I didn't even realize it.

5. If you go with a Magnaflow exhaust, the instructions say to remove the original exhaust hangers. You will want to leave these on. It's used to attach new hangers on that side to stablize the new muffler. It's darn heavy! There are two new hangers but the two originals will still be used. Don't waste the time removing them.

6. Most of the header write-ups say to use a second person under the car to hold them in place while you are installing them. That does make it MUCH easier but my snooty friends and family weren't willing to get dirty. I used a heavy, thin screwdriver passed through the header bolt hole and gasket hole to pry the whole setup into place while I got a bolt in place. Then I could use another to pry up the other side and attach a second bolt. Once you have bolts in place on both ends the rest will line up. Just tighten from the middle outward when you go to finish the installation.

7. The Abbott racing gaskets are a MUST when doing headers. The stage 8 racing bolts are highly desired. They were worth the extra money. I needed to trim the gaskets down before installation to get the maximum flow through them, though. A Dremel tool with a sharp blade did the job. Every bit of extra air flow has to help. I figure the gaskets were cut originally to fit almost any application so a little trim made them fit the new Pacesetter headers perfectly.

8. I also was not very happy with the 3 1/2" lag bolts that were included with the Pacesetter headers kit when attaching the y-pipe to the headers. It comes with a bolt, ONE washer, and ONE nut. I went to the hardware store and got a 2nd nut and 3 additional washers for each bolt. I used 2 washers on top, 2 washers on bottom, and then tightened one nut on the end but then put the 2nd nut on behind the 1st one. Why? It's an old trick (that's used a lot on shocks) that the bottom nut will keep the top nut from ever coming loose. You could also use some Loctite on the bottom nut if you wanted. I didn't and it held just fine. You just want a nice, even lock-down on these piece where they attach. It's as close to a clamp as I could get on these parts without bending anything. And believe me...it was rock solid when I was done!

Just a few tidbits I picked up on this installation. Hope some of this helps! I hope to have pics online soon. I just need to get Meineke to weld up the cat for me and I'll be done!
    Last edited by Abaddon; 04-19-2008, 10:33 PM.
    2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Re: Considerations when installing new exhaust

Perhaps this should be a sticky? I found it very useful...
    Y87 Package
    MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
    BONE APPROVED!
    VANBIBBER APPROVED!
    KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
    Team Black...TEAM EMO
    sigpic
    Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Originally posted by Firebirdkid96 View Post
      Perhaps this should be a sticky? I found it very useful...
      Thanks. I'm glad to hear it. One other thing I'd like to add is EVERYONE should check their AT pan bolts since they will have their faces in the exhaust! I planned on changing my AT fluid and filter and when I went to take the pan bolts out, they were so loose they turned with my fingers! It turns out the fluid had been slowly leaking for months (I guess) because the pan was soaked and everything around it. I didn't realize those bolts would come loose over time (considering the rear diff didn't) and the fluid was never low on the stick. So I took the rest of the bolts out with my fingers (except for 3 of them which required a very minor turn with the socket).

This may be one of the reasons people are loosing their transmissions at a fairly fast rate. It could suddenly be low on fluid and burn it up because of this. So I used RTV on the gasket on both sides before putting it back in. I also used a little Loc-Tite on the bolt threads to keep it from happening again.

Comment

Hey I'm just wondering how the Magnaflow exhaust sounds.. I just installed my Cat-back kit and I'm doing my headers next weekend with my neighbor, and I'll be running a test pipe.. Right now the exhaust sounds lame, ricer like.. Have any vids of yours yet??

Comment

Originally posted by Timwiltshire View Post
          Hey I'm just wondering how the Magnaflow exhaust sounds.. I just installed my Cat-back kit and I'm doing my headers next weekend with my neighbor, and I'll be running a test pipe.. Right now the exhaust sounds lame, ricer like.. Have any vids of yours yet??
          check the soundclips sticky.
          Y87 Package
          MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
          Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
          BONE APPROVED!
          VANBIBBER APPROVED!
          KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
          Team Black...TEAM EMO
          sigpic
          Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Yeah the sticky has all kinds of sound clips on it. Most of them still work. I'll be getting one of my own put together soon. I've got the entire interior pulled out and put in Dynomat. The new carpet comes in this week so I don't have any seats in the car. But maybe I can do it without seats. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Abaddon View Post
              1. O2 sensors - Some people have had issues with the original (or OEM replacement) O2 sensors reaching the connectors when they install Pacesetter headers. I used NTK replacements from SummitRacing and the fit was perfect. It's usually a good time to do this as part of regular maintenance anyway. Make sure you use anti-sieze on them! The originals were fused into the manifolds. The front two are different from the rear. All 3 are 4-wire in my 2000 V6, though. (That makes a difference when you order replacements.)
              I've never heard of anyone having issues with OEM O2's fitting; I reused my old ones when the headers were installed, and used Autozone replacements when the stockers went out.
              6. Most of the header write-ups say to use a second person under the car to hold them in place while you are installing them. That does make it MUCH easier but my snooty friends and family weren't willing to get dirty. I used a heavy, thin screwdriver passed through the header bolt hole and gasket hole to pry the whole setup into place while I got a bolt in place.
              Another way to handle this while doing a header install by yourself, is to put the header on, without a gasket, and put two bolts in finger-tight; one at each end of the header. Once you've done that, attach the y-pipe, adjust, then tighten them all the way down on the collectors. Now you can put a jack under the Y-pipe and remove the bolts that were holding the headers on the head and allow the headers/y-pipe to fall down a bit. Get the gasket in, put the two bolts (at either end) back thru the header and gasket. Now, use the jack to slowly raise the header back up..once it's lined up, put the two outer ones in finger tight again, then proceed to tighten the bolts from the inside out.

Not saying it's a better way, but just a different way.
              I needed to trim the gaskets down before installation to get the maximum flow through them, though. A Dremel tool with a sharp blade did the job. Every bit of extra air flow has to help. I figure the gaskets were cut originally to fit almost any application so a little trim made them fit the new Pacesetter headers perfectly.
              Are you talking about the ports? You do realize, that they're shaped to match the ports on the head, right? This was done to provide a better, longer lasting seal...

Originally posted by Timwiltshire View Post
              Have any vids of yours yet??
              He may not, but you'll probably find one here
              http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=59728

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
                I've never heard of anyone having issues with OEM O2's fitting; I reused my old ones when the headers were installed, and used Autozone replacements when the stockers went out.
                I read...a lot...before I attempted this install.
                http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=58256
                "I had to make an O2 extension for my passenger side header. For some reason it was a tad short. No big deal just some soldering and extra wire."
                I didn't have to do this with the NTKs. That's why I mentioned this.
                Another way to handle this while doing a header install by yourself, is to put the header on, without a gasket, and put two bolts in finger-tight; one at each end of the header. Once you've done that, attach the y-pipe, adjust, then tighten them all the way down on the collectors. Now you can put a jack under the Y-pipe and remove the bolts that were holding the headers on the head and allow the headers/y-pipe to fall down a bit. Get the gasket in, put the two bolts (at either end) back thru the header and gasket. Now, use the jack to slowly raise the header back up..once it's lined up, put the two outer ones in finger tight again, then proceed to tighten the bolts from the inside out.

Not saying it's a better way, but just a different way.
                Good advice.

Are you talking about the ports? You do realize, that they're shaped to match the ports on the head, right? This was done to provide a better, longer lasting seal...
                Mine weren't even close. I compared them to the originals but there was WAY too much extra covering the holes in the headers and the heads. I had to trim mine down quite a bit. I haven't had any leaks thus far. I also used the stage 8 locking bolts so I don't expect to have any, either.

I posted one in the sound clips sections. It's a link to my YouTube clip.

Comment

I read...a lot...before I attempted this install.
                  http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=58256
                  "I had to make an O2 extension for my passenger side header. For some reason it was a tad short. No big deal just some soldering and extra wire."
                  I didn't have to do this with the NTKs. That's why I mentioned this.
                  well, that must be a problem for a 97-and-below, considering my first hand experience with my '99.

Mine weren't even close. I compared them to the originals but there was WAY too much extra covering the holes in the headers and the heads. I had to trim mine down quite a bit. I haven't had any leaks thus far. I also used the stage 8 locking bolts so I don't expect to have any, either.
                  The gasket's function is to prevent exhaust gases from escaping, not necessarily maximize exhaust flow. Bear in mind, you already should have a pretty free flowing exhuast pulling air quickly out of the cylinder, so whatever hinderance should be overcame by the entire exhaust system, as a whole. Also, there are many record-setting cars that have un-trimmed Abbot exhaust gaskets in them...would they be faster with them cut? Possibly. Did putting them in uncut cause a significant problem? Their numbers/results say "no." Again, not directly dissagreeing with you, but just offering another POV on the situation

Comment

Naw I looked through the entire thing, anyone who has the magnaflow cat back doesn't seem to have headers.. The only clips I've found on youtube are magnaflow cat back kits.. That's it.. No headers.. I'm just curious as to how my car is going to sound.. Hopefully not crappy..

Comment

The gasket's function is to prevent exhaust gases from escaping, not necessarily maximize exhaust flow. Bear in mind, you already should have a pretty free flowing exhuast pulling air quickly out of the cylinder, so whatever hinderance should be overcame by the entire exhaust system, as a whole. Also, there are many record-setting cars that have un-trimmed Abbot exhaust gaskets in them...would they be faster with them cut? Possibly. Did putting them in uncut cause a significant problem? Their numbers/results say "no." Again, not directly dissagreeing with you, but just offering another POV on the situation
                      I'm with ya. I haven't hit the dyno yet (because my interior is all over the ground while putting down Dynomat and new carpet) so I'll let you know how it finishes up. So far it's been nice in the few months I've driven it. I was able to spend more time with my car than most when I pulled it down. I took it down in December and it immediately got really cold. Since it's not a DD I was able to spend a few months thinking about it and putting it together my way. That's mainly why I was able to create this thread. I spent a great deal of time just looking at the car and thinking about what I wanted to do with it while I had it all over the garage.

Comment

I needed to trim the gaskets down before installation to get the maximum flow through them, though. A Dremel tool with a sharp blade did the job. Every bit of extra air flow has to help. I figure the gaskets were cut originally to fit almost any application so a little trim made them fit the new Pacesetter headers perfectly.

Abbott gaskets are bigger than the stock exhaust ports. And they match up to their ported heads. Unless you have hogged out your exhaust ports you won't need to trim them. There is no reason to trim them to match the pacesetters.

Comment

Originally posted by IDoVoodoo View Post
                          Abbott gaskets are bigger than the stock exhaust ports. And they match up to their ported heads. Unless you have hogged out your exhaust ports you won't need to trim them. There is no reason to trim them to match the pacesetters.
                          Yours may have been. I matched mine up to the motor and to the headers and there was a great deal of overlapping gasket. Some may not need to trim their gaskets. I didn't have any choice with mine. As I've said, I'm not saying everyone needs to do it. I'm simply saying what worked for me. I wish I had taken pics of it now. Mine were even narrower than the stock gaskets. I used the stock gaskets to match up the holes I trimmed it down to.

Comment

yes, the primaries on the pacesetter headers are bigger than the holes in the gasket. but that doesn't matter because the gaskets are still bigger than the ports on the head.

Comment

I'm not sure what part of this you aren't getting...the holes in the gaskets weren't even close to the same size as the ports in the heads. They were not only smaller, they were smaller than the stock gaskets. My final word on this is I resized mine by the original stock gasket, matched it up with the headers side and the head side and it worked flawlessly. I'm not saying anyone else HAS to do this. I personally don't care. I know what worked for me and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Do what works best for you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X