Noise from the engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise from the engine

I'm confuse as to what that noise (rattle) can be coming from my engine (3.8 V6). When I put it on neutrul or park and rev it up I don't hear the noise, but when I'm running the car and I'm driving next to a wall next to cars I hear it.

Could it be valve noise?

I don't think it's the driveshaft because I hear it up front.

Re: Noise from the engine

exhaust manifolds or heat shields rattling maybe? try getting a video of the noise..
    Dave:
    00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
    97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

More then likely something to do with exhaust. heat shield, Loose clamp, something rubbing against. Also tthe stock CAT has a shell around it, so pretty much layers of metal, sometimes they'll come apart and this will cause a rattle. Stupid design? YUP

best thing you can do is get someone to come with you and help listen. Then get your *** under the car and start looking everywhere. Hit the cat with a hammer or something and see if thats your problem. One thing i noticed about these cars is, they make ALLOT of noise. its up to you to track it down and fix it. you can thank GM

Comment

I don't have heat shields on the manifolds. I took that out 10 years ago when I did the spark plugs. Now I have pacesetters and my cat is Random Tech (no heat shield on this one either). My cat is welded too my Y pipe and catback.

Any other guesses? Thanks.
        Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 07-22-2011, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Mine's a 2002 with 123K on it and it makes some kind of minor metallic rattling noise, especially on startup. I think it's a heatshield somewhere, I just need to get under there and check it. It's definitely not an internal engine noise.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
            Mine's a 2002 with 123K on it and it makes some kind of minor metallic rattling noise, especially on startup. I think it's a heatshield somewhere, I just need to get under there and check it. It's definitely not an internal engine noise.
            I'm getting under mine this weak too and look for that. But like I said, I hear it more at the front.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X