steering column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering column

ok i have a 2001 camaro an im swaping steering columns because one has cruise control an the other does not. so i was wondering sense the key is coded if i have to swap the tumbler over to the new column or do i have to go as far as changing the pcm from the other car? im not the brightest star in the sky so i thought id ask :poke:

Re: steering column

read this real quick.

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...light=steering

might be something of use in there. if not, ssms will eventually read this thread and help you out.
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

ha thanx man. your name cracks me up

Comment

thanks. i hang with a crowd of v-8s, they always call me a fire chicken, and my cousin called it a flaming galapagos, so i just put them together lol!

did that link help??
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

M5 or A4 tranny? M5 you can switch columns and get thBCM & key from clevland auto patrs for $85. Auto's the parts guy at the dealer said their was a diffference in some so if auto call your local dealer and see what they say. Also why your at it if you want to upgrade your steering you can get a rack & pinion ,ususally for a good price, I got my rack & pinion and coupler for $100, improves steering 16.9 to 14.4 which is a great improvement you only need the rack & pinion off a V8 or a Y87 V6 since you already have a coupler on yours. As I found out the new Camaro is only 15.4 steering ratio which i think is weird, but I'll take Good luck

Flaming quit pimping me out.LOL hahaha.
          Last edited by ssms5411; 07-23-2009, 04:08 AM.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            you only need the rack & pinion off a V8 or a Y87 V6 since you already have a coupler on yours

Flaming quit pimping me out.LOL hahaha.
            isnt the rack for a v8 different?? will it still work?

you my b!sh! lol
            Team NoVa

Comment

The V8 rack bolts up the same just different ratio 14.4 and for like me using a coupler off a 98+ instead of a rag joint style 93-97, I have now is suppose to be better. O.K PIMP Daddy.LOL
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

honistly i have no clue if its M5 or A4 i just know it says 4L60e. ok so heres what i did. i rebuilt the top end on my 3800 then i couldnt keep my foot off the pedle so i ended up spining a bearing an seezed up that engien. well i got a parts car an droped the sub frame with the motor an tranny on the parts car an im doing the same on the other car and im just going to roll that engine out an put the other one in an bolt her down. so the parts car was fully loaded an so i riped the column out an was just going to swap them, both cars have the 4L60e tranny an the AU6 rear. idk if any of this made sense but i tryed :o an i hope it helps

Comment

What year cars are they from? BTW M5 is manual and A4 is auto 4L60E.

Comment

yea lol im so sorry for my stupidity i just dont put two an two together about the M5 an A4 stuff. the parts car was a 2000 model an the car the engine an stuffs going in is a 2001. an excuse my miss spells as well spellcheck wont work an im absolutly horible at it

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it, have to learn some where, I didn't know about the columns until I had to swap mine and start researching and about the steering ratio's. You should be fine on your swap, I think the difference in auto's were the 93-97 and 98-02 but manuals are all the same according to the parts guy at the dealership. Good luck on the install, you'll have it done pretty quick since it is a straight forward job.

Comment

sweet thanks for all yalls help. an yea i just went out an swaped them got it all buttoned up. now i just need to get that engine in, but if this texas heat dont chill out then idk if it will ever be done. but ill keep all yall posted on my car even though its stock stock stock

Comment

my car was stock stock stock when i got on this board. itll change.

post progress pics
                          Team NoVa

Comment

^ Your car is still stock. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                              ^ Your car is still stock. LOL
                              nah dude, that water filled oil pan is completely aftermarket!!
                              Team NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X