Security Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Light

The other day I was driving and I noticed the Security light come on in the dash. I'm wondering what could cause this and if its a problem. Its intermittent and isnt always on. I have an aftermarket stereo head unit in the car also. I heard that was related to the anti-theft system so just providing all relevant info to help with diagnosis.

1994 Firebird 3.4L.

Re: Security Light

Try taking a pencil eraser, and cleaning your key. There is a little "chip" which has metal exposed.

Often times that will correct the problem with the security light.
    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

yup, clean the chip on the key

i usually use some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip

Comment

I've posted a warning a few times in response to the Security Light. If it gets to a point where your car wont start, and you notice the light on, it might be time to replace the ignition lock cylinder. The following information is from an old thread, but it's what worked for me:

There are several causes for each problem. The first step is cleaning the chip in the key. If that doesn't do it, you can have a new key made or try your spare if you have one. You could have a broken wire though. My ignition started acting up a while back, and I was hoping it was just the key dying on me. So I had the dealer cut me a new one, and it started right back up. So I thought that solved the problem, but nope, the next day, Security light kicked back on and the car wouldn't start. I went through this several times, and each time it got progressively worse. Finally, I got it checked out by a mechanic that my father knows, and found that there was a wire broken on my ignition switch. He said it's a very common problem with cars that use the PASS KeyII System. There are two white wires, encased in orange plastic, that run into the ignition switch. The wires are connected to the sensors that the key touches inside the switch. That is how the resistance is measured. One of the two white wires that come into the back of the ignition switch was almost broken completly in two, thus causing the resistance measurement to be off. That is what set off the security light, and is why it only happened ocasionally. Sometimes the wires would be making enough connection to measure the propper resistance. Anways, the wire finally snapped off completely, and I had the Mechanic replace the entire ignition switch. It's list price is $56.00. I had a picture of my old ignition switch but I've lost it since then. You could see where the wires ran into the switch, and where it broke. That is what happend with mine. Maybe the wire you unplugged looked like the one in the picture, if so, it might be broke at the ignition switch, and might need replaced, or you might be able to fix. Either way, there ya go.

That's all I have, had to edit it some since I don't have the pic anymore and stuff, but hope it makes sense.
        ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

why spend $56 when you can spend $1 at radio shack to buy a resistor

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
            why spend $56 when you can spend $1 at radio shack to buy a resistor
            Lol. That's one way to look at it. With the install it came to 230 or 270... I can't remember. The benefit of the correct fix is the added security so the average tard can't steal the car on the first try.
            ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

Thanks guys, I forgot about the PASS resistor. I cleaned it up a little and the problem seems to be gone for now.

Comment

Originally posted by StrtRacer98 View Post
                Try taking a pencil eraser, and cleaning your key. There is a little "chip" which has metal exposed.

Often times that will correct the problem with the security light.
                Originally posted by IceHammer View Post
                Thanks guys, I forgot about the PASS resistor. I cleaned it up a little and the problem seems to be gone for now.

:banana: :banana:
                *Matt

Comment

mine came on to after i installed remote start..come on flick off come on ect ec...got tired of seeing it and took the bulb out lol..the perfact fix when nothin is worng lol

Comment

Originally posted by JMULL View Post
                    mine came on to after i installed remote start..come on flick off come on ect ec...got tired of seeing it and took the bulb out lol..the perfact fix when nothin is worng lol
                    Than you wired it wrong... Ive installed many remote starts / alarms in cars, and F-body's and never had the issue.
                    *Matt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X