Questions regarding fuel gauge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding fuel gauge.

:work:I have a couple of questions. One has to do with the fuel gauge. I know for a fact, that I have about half a tank, but it keeps reading that I have 7/8 full. A full tank, I would have had full reading from 0.0 miles to 31 miles. After that it would be gradually going down. I now have gone 130 miles, and is showing 7/8 full, which I know for a fact isn't the case. How would I know if it is either the fuel sending unit or the cluster not reading correctly?
    Then, I also had a question on the ground straps. I believe I have one under the front driver side on the undercarriage. Are there any others? Just that I may clean them this coming week, but wonder if there are any others I need to be concerned with or are any others. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Questions regarding fuel gauge.

There's a ground on the passenger side I believe.. I think it runs to one of the AC compressor bolts. But as you'll eventually learn about the "big 3" You should add like a 1-2 ft cable from the negative side on the battery to the body. You could also increase the gauge on the grounds that you already know about. And add a larger gauge wire from the positive battery to the alternator. It helps with dipping voltages when coming to a stop light while you're running a few accessories.

As far as the fuel gauge.. The level arm could be stuck. I've heard of people fixing it by adding some kind of cleaner to the fuel tank.. Like seafoam maybe. You'd be pretty lucky to fix it that way though. As far as checking for voltages or resistance.. Heh I'm not the one that would know.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

My car will say 3/4 till I hit 150miles or so; at 250 it hits 1/2 tank, and then 280 or so it's bouncing between empty and 1/4. It's a GM thing, and I don't think there's really a fix :(
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Mines the same way just have to watch how many miles you have driven, when over 400 then you screw up and will be walking.LOL Seriously, I think you could put a aftermarket electric fuel gauge sender in the tank and run it to a 2 1/16 gauge for it and you could be very accurate of a dugital gauge if one was serious about having yo monitior your fuel. If my sender ever goes out in my car I plan on doing this. Maybe put it at the lowest spot in the tank so it would be very accurate. Or wire it up to my Aeroforce gauge that I have coming , accepts 2 .5 volt accessories, one is going to be EGT's. The other coukld be oil temp or do the gas gauge thing if it ever went. Just a idea.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X