1 HID sometimes doesn't turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 HID sometimes doesn't turn on

I got an 00 3.8L camaro. Firstly, I installed Hella Fog H3 and they both have relay switches on them. I wired them to my parking lights, so if I put the dial in the middle, they will come on (instead of having a proprietary switch for the fogs). I never had problems with all my lights turning on with no problems. I then decided to get 6000K HIDs for both my fogs and low beams. Again, I didn't create another switch for my HID low beams; I installed those and I noticed that sometimes when i flip on my lights, sometimes 1 fog light doesn't switch on.. the next time, sometimes 1 headlight doesn't turn on (it's usually the driver side light but sometimes the passenger). I then decided to install a relay to both low beams. I thought that fixed the problem, but it still does it every now and then. This happens when the car is turned off and also when it's turned on with motor running. My friend at autozone suggested my switch isn't powerful enough? So he thinks I need to make a proprietary switch for my fogs. Is he right? I just don't want to do more wiring and come up empty handed again. I'd appreciate some input, Thanks guys

Re: 1 HID sometimes doesn't turn on

HID'S use less power at 35 watts compared to stock at 55 watts, so I would just double check your wiring on the HIDs to see if one or two is wired backwards.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

That is true, but it takes more power for the HIDs to start up initially than a halogen bulb; hence, the reason for a ballasts
      Last edited by jkelley; 02-13-2009, 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I run a set for my fogs and my low beams 6000K HIDS and have no problems, but when I first installed them I had one wired backwards and it did like your describing. Alot of guts run 2-3 HID kits and have no problems with stock wiring and voltage, so thats why I would look into the wiring or switch bulbs with ballasts to see if something is blown.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I thought of that, but this HID kit has reverse polarity; so unless that feature is false, I don't think the wiring could mess it up.

Comment

Thats what I thought with mine.LOL Its worth taking a look at anyway.

Comment

Okay I'll try that

Comment

thats weird, I hooked all mine up (lows and fogs) and they all worked just fine. it was plug and play. Where did you get yours? like SS said, maybe one of the wires are backwards, or you have a bad HID bulb/ ballast.. is there a way to check any of those with a multimeter?

Archer
                MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
                http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...mZ200300162206

Comment

Hey guys, just wanted to let you guys know that I fixed the problem. I ran both the headlights and fogs to two different switches; now I have a switch for the headlights and fogs; the oem switch only controls the parking lights now. All of my lights turn on with no problem. Therefore if anyone else has this problem, you can use this thread as a refrence.

Comment

Glad you figured it out, congrats. Weird though, mine are used off the stock headlight and fog switch and they work fine 6000K HIDS.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X