Windshield Wiper Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield Wiper Problem

Ok, heres my problem: my wipers won't return to the "home" position all the way down the windshield.

Each wiper speed works perfectly. The single pulse works fine. The wipers work correctly when the squirters are activated.

However, when the wiper speed selection is in the off position, the wipers do not do their final drop down to the "home" position after they are done actuating.

This just started happening randomly, but here is one tidbit to add. Before this started happening, the pulse setting was fidgety. If you released the selector from the pulse position before the wipers had actuated approximately 20 degrees, the wipers would immediately go back to the home position without finishing their path across the windshield. Now however, the pulse is working perfectly, albeit not from starting at the home position.

So, with that in mind, im thinking its the speed selector switch not getting a good signal that the wipers are off. But I don't want just throw parts at it.
    Any ideas?

Re: Windshield Wiper Problem

your driving your car in the buffalo winter? :eek:

Comment

I could be wrong here, but it sounds like the wiper arm bolts need adjusting.

I threw my wipers out of adjustment on an old '76 Trans Am I once had and the wipers kept jumping up-n-down after switching them off. I tried to turn them on when they were frozen to the windshield, and it threw the adjustments out of whack. It took me a few tries to find out where the bolts were factory seated, but they returned "home" just fine after that.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
        your driving your car in the buffalo winter? :eek:
        Of course, adds to the excitement of snow driving :naughty:.

I just got it back from the shop a few minutes ago after they had put in a new oil pan, and the wipers were in the home position after the car had been in a heated garage drying for about 24 hours. I have the feeling a piece of electronics in the motor controller got a little wet and caused a mix-up. I guess I'll have to wait and see if it happens again.

Comment

My Firebird does this once in a while. I just ignore it now. When it gets stuck it eventually parks the wipers after a few hours. I believe the issue is with the "park switch" located in the wiper motor itself. I would need to replace the entire motor assembly to really solve the issue.
          Last edited by nascar24jd; 12-23-2008, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X