Another Manual Fan Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Manual Fan Topic

Alright i have read a lot of info on here about manufal fan switches but really didnt find anything without LEDs.
    I read firebirdGts pics and still dont really get it (yeah if i dont understand it i shouldnt be doing it yeah...)
    ANYWAY, it seems a lot of people that follow this: http://www.cardomain.com/id/30thcamarov6

get one fan running high and two fans running low or something weird, and FirebirdGT states all three relays have to kick on for it to work. It seems if you follow 30thcamarov6 guide the only way to fix it is to put your A/C on...

So how can i get this to work with a SPDT switch(on-off-on).. according to someone they stated green wire goes to on, ground goes to off, and blue wire goes to on... I dont see how all three relays get kicked on?

Also people have stated there SES Light kicks on when doing this... Can someone reply that has done this without LEDs and with the same switch that i have?

Re: Another Manual Fan Topic

what car do you have? 3.8 or 3.4?

Comment

Many people may follow it - but is is WRONG. The fans will NOT operate as intended. If you read the fan wiring schematic you would understand. A SPDT switch is NOT correct.

You can use my wiring schematic and just leave out the LED circuits. They are not in the primary fan circuit.

And I'll say this again - wiring mods are NOT for anyone who does not understand electric circuits. You are going to get yourself in trouble FAST.
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

if he's got a 3.4 i can make it short and sweet for him, no worries GT

Comment

Don't really want to threadjack, but what is wrong with the other write up exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by dgreet77 View Post
            Don't really want to threadjack, but what is wrong with the other write up exactly?

It's wired WRONG.

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=77114

Raven

Comment

Ok. So don't wanna sound completely retarded, but the only difference I am seeing is the 1/2 to 1 watt 47 ohm resistors in the tapped fan wires if you are not using LED's. This of course is from the 1st link for the OBD II. Is that right?

Comment

1) The resisters are NOT for the LEDs,

2) You CAN NOT use a SPDT switch

Raven

Comment

Yeah. Thats what I meant. If you don't use LEDs then you need the resistors but none of the diodes, etc.

So you need the resistors, and a DPDT switch. And that would be the two differences from the other write up. Right?

Sorry for my lack of electrical expertise.

Comment

I have a 3.8, those resistors can be between the tap and the PCM correct? or does it have to be between the tap and the fans? Or does it matter? why in the other drawing the blue wire has 2 resistors?

I redrew the image in easier terms for myself does this seem correct?

Comment

Yes, that is correct - but it is a DPDT switch.

Do install the resistors AS shown, one on green, two on blue. I recommend using the 1 watt size. I used the 1/2 watt and they get too hot if under the dash and "choke" the current. I'll be replacing them this spring with 1 watt.

Remember resisters get hot when they operate, the higher the wattage rating the cooler they operate.

Raven

Comment

Thanks for your help, your right, i had a typo: DPDT
                        I will probably attempt this when it gets a little warmer, and if i screw up and fry something, well, you told me so.. I am about to take this car off the road anyways and use it as a project car. Thats why Im not too worried

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X