Car Alarm Malfunctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Alarm Malfunctions

Recently I noticed about 15 seconds after I set my car alarm on my 99 Camaro, the alarm goes off only twice, then is quiet. Alarm will go off like this every 2 hours or so. Often, the alarm just goes off randomly until I turn it off as well. Nothing obvious is causing the car to do this. I've always set my alarm and never had issues from it. Now I can't set it, for the fear of it constantly going off. :( Does anyone know what's going on with it? Has anyone had that issue before? Thanks.

Re: Car Alarm Malfunctions

If you have a remote starter it could be related. I am personally dealing with an issue regarding my remote start. It's pretty much a long distance panic button now.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

The car's a manual... so no remote start there. I don't know what's going on. I feel like someone's going to shoot it when it goes off, because a live in a damn trailer park! lol

Comment

Oh, and I couldn't help but notice that you don't have front license plates on your cars and live in Ohio. I used to live in the Cincinnati area and it was a big deal if no plate was on the front. I didn't want it ruining my dash, so I had to put it back on the front of my car. How do you get away with that? lol

Comment

maybe the sensitivity is turned up too high? Pull off the passenger's side panel in the hatch and there will be a little black box; it adjusts the sensitivity of the alarm. Turn it down some and try it.
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

I will try that later when I work on something else on the car... But I used to set the alarm all the time. I used to work at a busy airport and set the alarm. The alarm never went off then...if that tells you anything. lol :) It used to function normally.

Comment

A lot of times stray voltage in the door pin wires will set them off. An inline diode will fix that. Why it was working fine for sometime before this, who knows. Maybe you've made some changes to the car or maybe something else in the car has a slight voltage malfunction. We're talking millivolts here. That's about the only thing I can think of.
              Red 96' A4 Firebird
              Audio Audio and Autotek
              Check it out here!

Comment

So, how about when it goes off 2 horn beeps (In the alarm beat) and lights flashing...then stops on it's own. Every 2 hours or so, it happens again. Nothing has been different about the car around the time this started happening. However, about 3 weeks ago, the throttle positioning sensor went bad and the car's been parked since (with no alarm set).

Comment

the 2 beeps then silence usually only happens on mine when a ball hits it or something. Doesn't take anything big, but any decent thump on the car will set that part off.
                  ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                  A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Exactly as Rad said, brief beeps like you are describing means the shock sensor is triggering for some reason. Try turning down the sensitivity just to see if it makes any difference. This should help troubleshoot your problem. Worse comes to worse, buy a new one. A basic alarm w/keyless goes for $100 new online and once the install is done once, it's VERY easy to install another one. The wire colors are universal brand to brand.
                    Red 96' A4 Firebird
                    Audio Audio and Autotek
                    Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by XxNovaSS1971xX View Post
                      Oh, and I couldn't help but notice that you don't have front license plates on your cars and live in Ohio. I used to live in the Cincinnati area and it was a big deal if no plate was on the front. I didn't want it ruining my dash, so I had to put it back on the front of my car. How do you get away with that? lol
                      I've been pulled over for it once and he let me go with a verbal warning. There are a ton of cars around here that don't have front license plates. I suppose they like to use it as an excuse to pull me over in the first place. And I've only ever had a seat belt ticket when I should have had my car towed once. :D

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X